Bogie identification

steve howe

Bogie identification

Postby steve howe » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:00 pm

Looking through the bits box for some bogie CCUs I found buried a pack from 5522 Models, it says on the etch 'Fox's Heavy 8' Bogie' I've no idea how old the kit is and 5522 no longer list it in their range. Can anyone throw any light on what prototype these bogies were used for?

Steve

Porcy Mane

Re: Bogie identification

Postby Porcy Mane » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:58 pm

From memory so I could be wrong; Some Gresley LWB & SWB BG's and N.E.R. derived CCT's. Also Some LNER milk Vans.

I think these are Fox?
https://flic.kr/p/2cBW8yQ
https://flic.kr/p/X1bjnT
https://flic.kr/p/WnLYau

P

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:17 pm

You'll find Fox bogies on NE area Gresley non-corridors, too, but possibly only brakes. There is an LNER drg for a Fox bogie but no sign of "heavy" and "light" like the Gresley bogies although I see different springs can be fitted according to load with corresponding H or K axleboxes. This from a 1926 document "LNER Carriage Bogies" but which incorporates later changes including a welded 8ft bogie of 1942. This document also shows a Fox-like bogie fitted to electrics.

DaveB

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:34 pm

Thanks chaps,

I've no idea how I ended up with these bogies! I'll have to invent an excuse for a Gresley through coach to Watermouth!

Steve

Porcy Mane

Postby Porcy Mane » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:59 pm

davebradwell wrote:but which incorporates later changes including a welded 8ft bogie of 1942.

Dave, could this be your 8ft welded?

Tues_2-8-1966-©PwD-CollnBogieDetailEdit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:55 am

No, nothing like it! This one would appear to have origins off the LNER, unless Thompson tried a simpler bogie - his had deeper solebars with shaped ends and dampers at different heights, like some Fox. No sign of tiebars on the LNER bogies. Document does include what appears to be a 7ft w/b version of a Fox, so there's one for you to find.

Getting back to theme, do the mysterious heavy Fox bear any resemblance to those in the photos?

DaveB

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:43 pm

All the Fox bogies were supplied to railway companies as a set of steel pressings that had to be assembled in a bogie. Axleboxes, carrying springs, brakes and bolster arrangements were not supplied and the recieving companies provided these items to their own designs. Earlier versions of these pressings used side frame that were shallower that the later more common ones. I've heard these early frames described by modellers as "light Fox bogies", but I don't think the manufacturers classifided them in this way.

I beleive the 7' w/b bogies decscribed above were used on MET Dreadnought coaches, some of which may have been maintained by the LNER from the late 30s.

The bogie shown on the bogie pigeon van were the latest version of GER bogie, though they appear to have a modification to the outer spring support bracket.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:41 pm

8 foot Fox bogies were widely used by pre-grouping companies. The LSWR were big users of them, the GNR, LBSC, Caledonian, NER and HR were also big users and I dare say if you dig harder then you will find a lot more.

If you follow this link, it will take you to the Fox bogies I produce and if you then click through to the instructions you will find some prototype details/photographs plus a prototype drawing. https://miscellanymodels.com/future-pla ... ox-bogies/

Personally I am not a fan of the the compensation design used in 5522 models bogies; so much so I designed my own!
Mark Tatlow

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:29 pm

Mark Tatlow wrote:Personally I am not a fan of the the compensation design used in 5522 models bogies; so much so I designed my own!

Even I'm not a fan of the 5522 Models design - and I own the range!

:D
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”