3mm diameter axles and 1/8 inch bearings

chrisf

3mm diameter axles and 1/8 inch bearings

Postby chrisf » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:09 am

Learned gentlemen, I need some advice and I apologise now if the question below appears a stupid one!

I have a wheel conversion pack for a Bachmann 45xx tank and was nearly all set to begin the conversion to P4 when Comet announced a kit for the 45xx chassis. I was able to inspect a sample of the Comet chassis at York yesterday and although it is clearly a distinct improvement on the Bachmann product [no offence meant, Bachmann] it is of course intended to take 1/8 inch diameter axles. I have more than an inkling that if I use 1/8 inch bearings to accommodate 3mm diameter axles I will be asking for trouble, for even I know that 3 mm is 0.175mm less than 1/8 inch and the smaller axle will hardly be a snug fit - in fact, sloppy would be an understatement.

It will come as no surprise that I have searched in vain in suppliers' catalogues for 3mm axle bearings or even conversion bushes which I acceot would have been rather a long shot. Before you ask, I possess neither a lathe nor the knowledge of how to use one. So: is there a simple solution that I have managed to overlook or is it off to the bring and buy with the wheels and axles that I bought before the world changed?

Chris

Alan Turner

Re: 3mm diameter axles and 1/8 inch bearings

Postby Alan Turner » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:53 am

Two solutions:

a) buy some 3mm bearings/hornblocks from Exactoscale and substitute for the Comet ones.

b) buy some 1/8th brass tube, solder into bearings and then ream out to 3mm. The 3mm reamer aint cheap but at least you will have it for next time!

Alan
Last edited by Alan Turner on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Or convert the Bachmann one with the wheels you have and get another set to use with the Comet chassis. Then you'll have two 45s :!:
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:34 am

The easiest solution is to return the driving wheels to the manufacturer and ask for the wheel centres to be remoulded with a 1/8" hole! Both Colin Seymour (Alan Gibson) and David Rogers (Ultrascale) have done this in the past and I'm sure could help.

Philip

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:13 pm

Gentlemen, thank you for the food for thought. I should have spotted that Exactoscale do 3mm bearings ...

I have decided to go with Tim's eminently sensible suggestion on the basis that running before you can walk has much to commend it.

Chris

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”