Weighted vehicles standing on their springs for a long time

Captain Kernow

Weighted vehicles standing on their springs for a long time

Postby Captain Kernow » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:14 am

I'm not sure how long springing systems like that supplied by Bill Bedford or Masokits has been around (ie. using steel wire etc.), but I was wondering whether there is any risk of long-term damage to the springiness of the wire if you store your rolling stock on it's wheels, ie. with the weight in the stock more or less constantly bearing down on the springs.

Is it better to keep the vehicles stored on their sides, or even upside down (if possible), to avoid damage to the springing?

On the other hand, my gut feel is to keep the vehicles stored upright, in order to reduce the possibility of accidental damage to details or the paintwork...

Any thoughts, anyone, please?
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Alan Turner

Re: Weighted vehicles standing on their springs for a long time

Postby Alan Turner » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:24 am

Providing the spring stresses are within the elastic limits of the steel then there will be no permanent deformation.

Alan

Brinkly

Postby Brinkly » Thu May 13, 2010 10:13 pm

Could you not make a foam support and straddle the wheels over the edge or would that risk damaging the chassis detail?

Regards,

Nick

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sat May 15, 2010 8:57 am

Brinkly wrote:Could you not make a foam support and straddle the wheels over the edge or would that risk damaging the chassis detail?

Sadly, I fear the latter would happen, but I'm happy now with the responses indicating that there will be no lasting problems, which indeed is my experience with regards to my oldest sprung wagons anyway, built circa 3 years ago.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Allan Goodwillie

Re: Weighted vehicles standing on their springs for a long t

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sat May 29, 2010 5:36 pm

There are no problems normally with springs loosing their springy-ness. If you run a permanent layout where the locos and stock sit permanently on the track you will find there are no problems. My home layout called Grayrigg is a permanent set up and the trains have been sitting/running for about 12 years with no problems this way. I hope this gives some reassurance.

Allan Goodwillie :)

johnWM

Postby johnWM » Mon May 31, 2010 6:36 am

I have had stock sitting in a display case fitted with masokits springing since the units were first released. No issues at all. They have been taken out and trundled up and down a test track a few times over the years.
A problem I have noticed is that if you have compensated rocking units under plastic kits that were a close but adequate clearance when built, more than ten years later a few of them don't actually rock at all, having now become effectively rigid. (does the plastic shrink?)

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Mon May 31, 2010 7:34 am

The answer is yes it can do, in fact using solvent to construct plastic kits can lead to deformation and contraction if too much is used. It is advisable to drill a hole in the base of Vans to allow fumes to release. I always make sure there is enough clearance built in, so that if there is any contraction, (I too have had some examples in years gone by), there will still be enough clearance some time down the road.

Allan Goodwillie :)

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”