Using the Hobby Holidays Masterchassis Jig - any tips or mods.?

Brian T

Using the Hobby Holidays Masterchassis Jig - any tips or mods.?

Postby Brian T » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:47 pm

Hi,

I've had a Hobby Holidays Chassis Jig for more years than I can remember - and have yet to use it in anger :oops: Now that I have a lot more time to spare I'd like to start reducing The Great Kit Pile sorry, Mountain and start using it :-D

I've seen pictures of others using it which suggest that some find it useful to stand it on edge, so I thought I'd ask the question of others who have this jig and ask (a) is that the case, and (b) any other advice you may have on using it.

Please bear in mind that I'm quite happy with it (despite not having used it yet...) and don't want to get into "you should've bought the Avonside/Poppys/whatever jig" instead. None of those were even invented when I purchased my jig, so that's a good excuse for a start.... :D

Many thanks

Brian

p.s. I've done a search on the forum and read what's already gone before - unless I've missed one...

petermeyer

Re: Using the Hobby Holidays Masterchassis Jig - any tips or mods.?

Postby petermeyer » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:09 pm

I have one, having read that Geoff Holt had one, and wouldn't be without it now.

At first I was reluctant but now am quite happy to take the piece off and put it back on again sometimes upside down. I solder with it from the top and on it's side; I also hold it upside down if needs be. I prefer to solder the side away from the jig which is more accessible with an iron.

I now always set the chassis up initially with fixed bearings in on the jig, that way I have a hope in getting it square. I do the necessary cutouts for the hornguides after. Sometimes I do some preliminary cuts beforehand.

When soldering the hornguides in, having set the jig up with the coupling rods, I use old-school springs over the axles to hold the pairs of bushes in place.

Hope this is helpful.

Brian T

Postby Brian T » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:37 pm

Hi Peter,
That's very helpful - many thanks for taking the trouble to reply :)
Kind Regards,
Brian

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:54 am

Hi Peter,
Thankyou for sharing you methods of working which could be applied to any similar Jig whether commercial, or self made. :thumb

Have you taken any photos you could share?

regards,
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:30 am

LesGros wrote:Hi Peter,
Thankyou for sharing you methods of working which could be applied to any similar Jig whether commercial, or self made. :thumb

Have you taken any photos you could share?

regards,

Hi Les

Thanks for the interest in my techniques. I probably have some pics of the HH jig in use but I plan, over the next few days, to build an LNWR C Class chassis so I will put some pics up in a workbench thread. This is an 0-8-0 and, as I bought only a 3 axle jig, it’s going to be interesting.

Cheers

Peter

Brian T

Postby Brian T » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:57 pm

Hi Peter,
I purchased the 3 axle jig; some years later I enquired about purchasing additional units to add a couple of extra axles with holders - it seems that the whole jig would have to go back to HH to enable matching and machining of additional units to the existing ones. The set up time would make the whole exercise unviable - Phil at HH advised it would be better to sell the existing unit and put the money to a 5 axle jig.
He then went on to say that many people built chassis larger than intended for the 3 axle jig simply by building them as an 0-6-0 and then moving the chassis sideways to accommodate the extra axle positions.
HTH
Brian

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:39 am

The only other thing I might mention is that, after soldering, I leave the frames on the jig for a good long while - a few days if necessary - to see if anything has distorted once cooled down.

HH jigs are trustworthy, but it doesn't hurt to verify.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”