CSB Sprung Fell Locomotive

zebedeesknees

Re: CSB Sprung Fell Locomotive

Postby zebedeesknees » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:50 pm

davebradwell wrote:I trust Ted and Will aren't flagging.
DaveB

More thoughts to come, but short of time today..
One thing did strike me during some sleepless minutes last night which I think very important for James though.

Having assembled a number of Penbits bogies, one thing that Ian suggested in his instructions (on line - look at the 24/5 ones) shocked me.
He says to drill out the 2mm bearings in the Bachmann towers to 2.1mm. On reflection, that's essential.

Whether James attaches the gearbox to the stretcher - which I would recommend as a torque reaction link to the gearbox would be essential otherwise - or leaves it loose as Keith says, drill the bearings in the stretcher oversize by 0.1mm, 3.1 if they are 3mm, or 3.2 if they are 1/8". This allows the axles 2 and 3 to rotate in the roll plane independently of each other.
Only those bearings, the others should be as normal.

Another thought - CSBs as an 0-8-0 would be kinder to the stretcher than the other suspension options.

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Will L

Postby Will L » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:35 am

davebradwell wrote:..
I trust Ted and Will aren't flagging...

No but I'll be busy else where for a while. I'm not sure I agree Ted's analyse... Time I took a shower obviously.

down_under

Postby down_under » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:27 pm

Regarding the Fell driver stretcher, I can experiment, build it flexible with a torque link. If this causes problems I can solder it up and use a unit. I will fit a link like I have done on this chassis:

Janus Torque Link.jpg

With it flexible it will want to rotate about the axle. I'm curious also to see if the torque along the driver stretcher causes it to twist or do other strange things.

Some progress before holidays ended. Axles reamed out to 1/8 to allow the HL CSB jig to be aligned

IMG_7902.jpg

Piece of wood machined with a slot to allow the bearings to be recessed while I drill. I don't think these jigs were designed to be used this way, but all the holes align.

IMG_7890.jpg

Maybe if someone has the ear of Chris at HL, a quiet word to develop a longer version for 8 coupled locos...I have a P1, P2 (x2) and a Austin 7 to do next.

Next step after drilling will be to cut out the hornblocks. Which will happen over the next week or so. Waiting on 2mm space savers from HL to arrive and then chassis construction can begin.

J
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:37 pm

Glad all the pontification hasn't put you off. This is one case where I think a bit of practical experience will be worth a great deal of theory.

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:00 pm

I'm going to fail your torque link in the photo, I'm afraid. It doesn't allow axle to rock which requires motor to move from side to side. Simplest way is flat tab sticking up and bearing on bridge piece soldered to frames. Tab retained by U shaped piece of wire forming a slot. If you can think of an easier way we'd be happy to hear of it but most fail by being too restrictive - it must only act against gearbox rotation. Anyway, seems you're better off without one on the Fell.

Bringing past thoughts up to date, fixing gearbox frame to drivestretcher means all vertical reactions from gears are contained by the plain brgs in the frame and don't influence the springs. Coupling rods only transmit horizontal forces so no problems there, perhaps that's why they were used originally. I can't help feeling, though, that there's a reaction on the drivestretcher - it's akin to building a steam loco and hooking the torque arm on the gearbox around an axle. Can't decide if it's half or quarter of total torque.

It's perhaps no surprise that early diesel shunters used rods rather than a geared link.

Not fixing gearbox to drivestretcher will introduce vertical reaction - it's the Roadrunner+ situation again - with 100% torque.

Certainly, the drivestretcher will need some looseness so it doesn't fight the hornblocks - I've said this all along. Have you checked that the drivestretcher wheelbase is same/similar to the frames?

DaveB

down_under

Postby down_under » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:10 pm

davebradwell wrote:Certainly, the drivestretcher will need some looseness so it doesn't fight the hornblocks - I've said this all along. Have you checked that the drivestretcher wheelbase is same/similar to the frames?

DaveB

I hadn't, and that is a good point. I just have lined it all up the Avonside. Used the original 8 coupled rods to set the wheelbase

Fell_8_AS.jpg

Then swapped it out for the drive stretcher and the two lots of 4 coupled rods , which seem to fit and line up OK.
Fell_4_4_AS.jpg

davebradwell wrote:I'm going to fail your torque link in the photo, I'm afraid. It doesn't allow axle to rock which requires motor to move from side to side. Simplest way is flat tab sticking up and bearing on bridge piece soldered to frames. Tab retained by U shaped piece of wire forming a slot. If you can think of an easier way we'd be happy to hear of it but most fail by being too restrictive - it must only act against gearbox rotation. Anyway, seems you're better off without one on the Fell.

Do you have a sketch of your set up with the tab? There is some rock from side to side (I think i used a 0.9mm ID tube and 0.5 rod or so, but yes, not as much rock as the other end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:28 pm

scan0014.tif

Does this help? just add motor! It's the first vaguely relevant diagram I could find and dimension of arm only has relevance if you're building a Q6. Tab is ideally vertically above axle but has been known to stray. Sometimes it's necessary to use a horizontal arm but it should be very long to minimise vertical component - it brings us back to that again. The link method is sound but the wire should be hooked through thin sheet brkts so it can articulate - your tube is too long a brg and is probably relying on the wire flexing. It would also be better if link was horizontal and on centreline to avoid the axle skewing. It's a remarkably critical part of the design.

It's all covered under the subject of "Kinematic design" but someone has hi-jacked the title and it's now very difficult to find any enlightenment in a search. The topic covers stuff like 3 legged stools and mounting of theodolites and is fundamental to basic engineering practice.

I don't claim ownership of the tab. Someone came up to my stand with a model to show me and he'd used it. It's so obvious and fundamentally correct I was kicking myself for not coming up with it. Have used it exclusively ever since.

DaveB

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:04 pm

davebradwell wrote:I don't claim ownership of the tab. Someone came up to my stand with a model to show me and he'd used it. It's so obvious and fundamentally correct I was kicking myself for not coming up with it. Have used it exclusively ever since.
Dave and I have had this discussion before, I would now agree that the tab design is generally the best way of going about it.

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:57 pm

Will L wrote:
davebradwell wrote:I don't claim ownership of the tab. Someone came up to my stand with a model to show me and he'd used it. It's so obvious and fundamentally correct I was kicking myself for not coming up with it. Have used it exclusively ever since.
Dave and I have had this discussion before, I would now agree that the tab design is generally the best way of going about it.

I don't! My reason is that the friction between the tab and what it is supposed to move against when the reaction is at it's greatest could be sufficient to inhibit the vertical movement of the suspension. The hinged method that James proposes, given the improvements outlined by DaveB is much better engineering.

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:01 pm

An interesting point that I hadn't considered, Ted, although I actually line my "slot" with slit ptfe tube so it doesn't rattle under digital motor drives. I only said the tab was the simplest way and hope I was fair to the link which is, of course, just as sound. The link is easy to get wrong, often due to attempts to improve it, can involve extra parts to get it on the centreline or it may just takes up space you don't have.

DaveB

down_under

Postby down_under » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:14 am

Progress!

2mm Slimline hornblocks arrived from HL which meant work could continue on the Fell.

Fell_1.jpg

There are no hornblock cut outs in the chassis. Red dots = CSB pivots. Blue = scribed lines for hornblock cut outs.

Fell_2.jpg

Once the vertical cuts had been made with a piercing saw, I used a hold and fold and then snapped out the tags to leave the cutouts. Tidied up with a file.

Fell_4_CSB.jpg

Hornblocks and CSB in place

Fell_5.jpg

Fell_7.jpg

Chassis in progress and complete. Body of the Fell lurking in the background. Some minor fettling of the spacers was required at the B end. You can see the slots/holes to allow the upward movement of the CSB tabs. These were made to ensure the rigidity of the chassis was not compromised by omitting a spacer. Once all the spacers are in, it is reasonable ridged, but such long frames did have a tendency to try and warp and twist, so it took alot of checking with the engineers square to ensure at all stages it was correct.

Now to work out how to mount the outside frames so that the wheel sets are removable and introduce the drive stretcher, gearbox and motor

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:13 am

down_under wrote:Progress!
Looking good James. There does seem to be a bit of a zigzag in the CSB wire which is worth avoiding if you can (by mounting the fixed fulcrum so they line up with the natural wire path. Makes re threading the wire significantly easier.
...Once all the spacers are in, it is reasonable ridged, but such long frames did have a tendency to try and warp and twist, so it took a lot of checking with the engineers square to ensure at all stages it was correct.
On of Ian Rice's best tips was never to fix a chassis down with more than one screw for fear of the body being more rigid and less square than the chassis when screwing it down twice can force the chassis out of true. So you arrange the chassis so it hooks in the body at one end and bolts down at the other.
Now to work out how to mount the outside frames so that the wheel sets are removable and introduce the drive stretcher, gearbox and motor

The great thing about doing CSBs this way is that you don't need keeper plates to stop the wheels falling out, but yes anything which comes below the wheel sets, like brake gear, and pickups tends to need to be removable and keeper plate like structures may reappear to mount them on. However given you will not have rods between the centre axles you do have the possibility of having fixed stuff across the chassis between the centre axles. But do remember you need to be able to get to the fixed fulcrum point to guide the wire through, particularly if it zigzags a bit.

It probably a bit late to say this now, but there is a lot to be said for using a hole through vertical chassis spacer as a fixed fulcrum point. Again makes threading the wire easier. Once you have the fulcrum line scribed on the chassis this isn't as hard to archive as it may at first appear, and it just goes along with you general effort to get everything as square as possible. In this case I think I would have gone for frame spaces to coincide with the centre and the two end fulcrums.

One final point, of course the advantage of the sprung chassis is that minor errors in chassis squareness don't actual matter so much, although I'm not suggesting you don't need to care. I now always fit very thick (20 thou) wires at this stage which are more or less rigid given there is no weight in the chassis. This allows, me to do a traditional and meaningful "do all the wheels touch the floor" check. These wires stay in till I know the real loco weight, you only need the right thinner wires in when the loco goes out to meet real world not as flat as it might be track.

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:46 pm

Will L wrote:It probably a bit late to say this now, but there is a lot to be said for using a hole through vertical chassis spacer as a fixed fulcrum point.

True, and all agreed Will, but if the half-etched lines on the frames are followed with the spacers, it looks as if the vertical parts of those at either end of the wires are going to form ideal end stops! We've got to be lucky sometimes..

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

down_under

Postby down_under » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement Will and Ted.

Yes, in hindsight I could have used the L shape spacers on the end. Will bear this in mind for the next kit! Lesson learnt there. I put that down to focusing on getting the CSB pivots in the right spot and not seeing what I had in front of me. I put in a V notch to get the wire in and out (doh). There is some minor zig-zagging maybe in the order of <0.5mm, hope that does not effect it too much.

Thanks for the tip on the thicker wire > I have some stiff steel wire that I can use, possibly piano wire.

down_under

Postby down_under » Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:09 pm

Time to dust of the thread and update you all on progress.

Short story - frames were twisted and stripped it all down and started again.

Using some blocks of wood I literally “nailed it down” to control the twist and managed to get the frames aligned and square.

F870E9C1-1618-4F1C-99CF-92A7A7E8E3A0.jpeg

Once soldered up, actually very strong and ridged.

As per Dave’s suggestion, inner axles set by the drive unit. I’ve also used one of Chris’ big 1626 coreless motors. These things are silky smooth and very quiet, not to mention powerful. Drive is through a 1-34 ratio Road Runner and the “Fell drive unit”. It is a very snug fit and you’ll need to make sure the bearings are flush with the gearbox frames. The drive unit pivots around the axle.

0F7618E9-9EE9-42CE-99D9-091C30AF7EEB.jpeg

To control any tendency to twist, I used some 2mm bore spacers/washers from Alan Gibson (1mm and a 1//8 > 2mm reducer used as a spacer).

26DF6402-B21F-4320-9150-BDA83160281C.jpeg

I turned up some vac cyclinders from brass rod, which I’ll fill with lead. They add to the “clutter” between the frames and add that little bit of depth.

40CF7589-0810-45CB-853F-5F31608EA0C7.jpeg

Standing on all 4 feet, motor in - doesn’t look too bad. Bit of power and it moves along just fine. I had to shim the wheels - just about 1mm either side to keep things nice and even. The CSB work like a dream. This will have some serious traction when finished.

EECA65B4-4FB3-4654-9A29-2CACC76FB988.jpeg

Next jobs on the list:

- torque link
-bogies
-cosmetic side frames

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:17 pm

I was wondering how this project was going after it tied us in knots early in the year.

As for getting chassis that are straight and true, I struggled with this for decades until it dawned on me to clamp the flexible frames with their spacers in place between 2 flat surfaces. These can be strips of metal or selected bits of wood or a vice and once you have a straight chassis you can apply a square and make observations that mean something. Twist can be eliminated by just sighting across the frame tops or resting the whole on a flat surface (like a mirror) to true it up while ensuring frames are vertical with a square - your strips need to be parallel. Tack solder it all together while clamped, you'll need enough spacers to keep it true when released so a few horizontal strips are good and if fitted low down can be used as fixings for pick-ups, dummy springs, and brakes.

I'm sure you just need to tie the 2 gearbox frames together in lieu of a motor restraint.

DaveB

down_under

Postby down_under » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Bogies this weekend. I’ve taken the JE bogies and built them up. I’ve drilled a hole at the midpoint for a potential spring pivot in the side frames. The prototype are pretty narrow (7MT bogie) with axle boxes on the outside of the frames. So, for this I cut out the hoenblocks and will solder some high level 2mm hornblocks in the “wrong way” so that they make the horn cheeks. I’ve added cosmetic axle box detail.
I’ve soldered up the compensation beam.

So we reach a point -

- use the compensation beam and spring a’la Ted on the 2P
- keep them cosmetic and spring on the inside a’la Dave

9E76A792-A187-4303-88C9-4353DC9CD37E.jpeg

E4D2031F-8B1B-4D92-AEDF-CEFDFC3B6C54.jpeg

CE31D23D-7ABD-43B0-A56B-2C224B8CD243.jpeg

I got to figure out how much space I got to play with I think to see which way I go.

Lastly I’ve soldered some scrap etch onto the rubbing plate. Will make some primary springs from Alan Gibson plunger pick ups to bear down on this like the real thing.

J

Will L

Postby Will L » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:14 am

down_under wrote:...So we reach a point -

- use the compensation beam and spring a’la Ted on the 2P
- keep them cosmetic and spring on the inside a’la Dave

If it was me, I would be more worried about how much weight you were going to carry on the bogies and the impact on the chassis supported by the driving wheels. I'm not sure I really care whether you compensate, spring, or build them rigid, but if they take body weight you will need to be sure they carry the same amount, and I can think of a variety of interesting implications which, unlike the CSBs, are difficult to quantify. We can discuss this if you like, but while I'm sure a healthy dollop of trial and error will be able to sort it out, I would take the easy way out and weight the bogies so they stay on without the assistance of weight from above and not carry any body weight at all.

down_under

Postby down_under » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:59 am

Hi Will,

Yes happy to debate and learn! Maybe to help discussion couple of sketches.

For this particular locomotive - just over half the length is above the bogies

B001D8AE-7C03-4405-978C-70A6CEC08D02.jpeg

Early up Ted suggested 16-68-16 weight ratio - this works and there is plenty of space to place weight in the nose of the beast. I’m aiming for 500g weight in the body (I’ve ignored the weight of motor, running gear etc. it is all broadly within the couple wheelbase)

FDA335F2-3340-4C75-A964-A5333A4F6B93.jpeg

I was planning on using some Alan Gibson plungers to transfer that body weight onto the bogies. Crude sketch below

C02F2784-EE86-491C-B959-2F57023308EF.jpeg

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:25 pm

My. understanding of bogie suspension is that the springs are always on the bogie - in this case I see them below and between the 2 layers of each compensation beam - and the main frame sits down hard on the apex of the spring. Your axleboxes should be able to rise and fall. There aren't any sprung plungers on the body bearing on anything, they are solid so the bogie frames move with the main fframes.......unless diesels are different from steam engines. I would follow this convention. Our accepted rule of thumb with bogie/pony springs is that the further apart they are the better they stay on the track. This makes Ted's solution the preferred one wth this type of bogie and he doesn't have spring plungers.

Will's content with the unsprung bogie is about equal to my hatred of it so it's up to you. All you need to get both bogies carrying equal weight is to have the spring deflections the same. The actual weight carried is unlikely to matter much....within reason. I'm pretty empirical about weights but save my numbers games for chassis dimensions.

DaveB

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:15 am

PS. I should add that the reason for copying the real thing is to avoid a toy-like gap between the bogie and chassis which you would have with your plungers. The loco will look much more convincing sat on its bogies.

DaveB

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:23 pm

James

I'm happy with your design objectives, and yes, I've used sprung plunger pickups between bogie and loco myself in the past. Though the prime objective then was as a way to pick up current from the bogie without lots of training wires. I'm not sure they do anything spring wise.

The issue I have is back to a bit of basic sprung chassis philosophy. The real problem is knowing just how strong the spring over each wheel is (the spring rate), what that means in terms of how much of the locos weight is transmitted through each wheel, and hence what the overall weight distribution will be. I know of no reliable way to predict or measure this with individual springs over each wheel. It turns out this is not a significant modelling problem with four wheeled wagons, or bogies, but is increasingly problematic with 3 or more axles in a fixed chassis. There are plenty enough examples of people who have successfully sprung chassis like this, but as far as I can see this involves a large dollop of trial and error, and a significant amount of uncertainty as to whether the optimum even weight distribution has been achieved. Also, if you get it badly wrong, real running problems can happen.

The beauty of CSBs is that the way the single sprung wire is configured on each side means that, relative to each other, the spring rate over each wheel is set at the design stage. This is what the dreaded spread sheet does. You are guaranteed that the weight distribution will be as designed. The spread sheet will also tell you what size wire, and hence the absolute spring rate, you need for a given overall loco weight.

This happy state of affairs appears lost just a soon as you start supporting some of your locos weight on wheels which aren't supported on the CSB wire. A significant failing given how many locos have carrying wheels, particularly where those carrying wheels are important to the stability and running qualities of the loco. I'm thinking particularly of 4-4-0s but there are others. I did eventually sort out in my own mind how to combine CSBs with a single load bearing bogie. As explained in this posting, I eventually realised that a CSB chassis, left to its own devices, will not sit level unless the weight being transmitted through the springs is as originally designed. Fortunately this remains true if one end of the chassis is sitting on a separate bogie. Meaning that, if we adjust the single bogie support (or the position of the locos CofG) so the chassis sits level under the loco weight, we have got the even weight distribution we designed for. Further, by comparing the actual loco CofG and where the CSB calculation said the CofG should be over the driving wheels, we can calculate how the loco weight is divided between bogie and driving wheels. This gave me back predictability on weight distribution.

I have no such solution for a chassis with load bearing carrying wheels at both ends. For this reason, I will always suggest that we don't try carrying body weight on most pony trucks and bogies where their use isn't dictated by long overhangs and/or a short driving wheelbase. This could bring on a whole discussion about why locos had non driven carrying wheels, what they really did for the running qualities of a loco and whether that has any relevance to a model. But this post is too long already.

Let’s just say that, In my view, the Fell loco’s long central rigid wheelbase means that, in our model world, it will run very satisfactorily without load bearing bogies. With a load bearing bogie at both ends of a CSB chassis such as yours, my fear would be that a level chassis was now merely an artefact of the support from the bogies. That it would be impossible to know what percentage of the weight was being carried buy what, and potentially that the centre of load being carried by the driving wheels was not where the CSB calculation said it should be. One of my learning points from putting CSBs into an eight coupled chassis is that it was relatively sensitive to errors in CogG placement. You can read that story here..

I may be being oversensitive on this last point, which comes from being interested in knowing rather than guessing exactly what is going on. The fact that users who have adopted CSB chassis find then relatively trouble free suggest the method is pretty robust, and not, as a whole, subject to problems due to a failure to follow the rules to the second pace of decimals.

davebradwell wrote:...Will's content with the unsprung bogie is about equal to my hatred of it so it's up to you.
That’s fair comment. A lot depends on what your modelling objectives are. If you are trying to follow prototype practice as closely as possible, then Dave is on the money. However, in getting a model to run well you do eventually have to depart from the way the real thing did it.

Thinking about the Fell, if you decide to follow Dave's prescription you end up with a long chassis which is, in practice, rigid from the outer wheels on one bogie to the one at the other end. Dave and I would agree that theory says you should be able to deal with that by springing the axle boxes. Just remember you’re going to need a lot of quite softly sprung available axle box movement on those bogies or it will be markedly sensitive to track irregularities.

All you need to get both bogies carrying equal weight is to have the spring deflections the same.
My fair dollop of trial and error. We are dealing in quite small (second decimal place) differences in spring deflection here.
The actual weight carried is unlikely to matter much....within reason.

I would agree with that. Within reason.

In summary I think what ever way you go the Fell with load carrying bogies is going to be in interesting problem which may spring surprises. Just imagine trying to build it compensated! Without them it will be a strait forward and reliable CSB chassis.

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:17 pm

I think you've missed the point here, Will. Ted's bogie, as I remember it posted a while ago, had what might be loosely described as csbs hidden inside its equalising beams. This gives the Fell a csb main unit with the ends propped up by more csbs - you ought to be in heaven at the prospect. We're only talking of light pressure so the effect on the ride height of this beast will be minor.

I just want my bogies to stay on the track at speed and borrowing a little of the body weight helps considerably.

DaveB

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:45 am

A couple of points, if I may...
On bogies, the equalising spring idea that I stole from Mr. Johnson was for locomotives, and the sprung beam replaced the primary springs - those over each wheel. The bogie frame supported some of the weight of the main frames, roughly equal to that supported by the driving wheel springs of one axle. But that was on relatively rigid rubbing plates, the friction of which helped to guide the loco into curves.
Secondary springs - those between the bogie frame and the body - were used in carriages, mainly for the comfort of the passengers.
The Fell, in my opinion, doesn't need them, though as an experiment they would be interesting. Rigid rubbing plates would be sufficient, but the secondaries as described, with coil springs, would also be more difficult to adjust than the arrangement shown at the bottom of this page:- http://www.clag.org.uk/beam-annex5.html where the spring rate is adjustable by changing the wire diameter, and the pitch behaviour by the width of the plank.
One should ask - how did the real thing work?

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:32 am

It looks so very much like an LMS standard loco bogie, Ted, that I considered it unlikely there were any secondary springs and a flat slide would be a good representation - without a GA we can't be certain but there's no sign of a gap where springs might operate. This thing has coupling rods so surely reflects steam-age thinking.

DaveB

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”