Converting Bachmann Precedent

jon price

Converting Bachmann Precedent

Postby jon price » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:57 am

Anyone had a look at the Bachmann Precedent yet with a view to rewheeling?
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

triumph3

Re: Converting Bachmann Precedent

Postby triumph3 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:07 pm

I have started by looking at the tender. Clearances are a bit tight at approx 21.8mm but there is enough meat to file/ grind back. Not dismantled the loco yet but there seems plenty of clearance.
The tender axles are used for pick ups using a wiper system onto a bush on the axle, so I suspect that the axles will need modifying to retain the pick up arrangements. I would not want to rely on just the loco pick ups.

I will be having a closer look in the new year. It is a fabulous model, the lining is particularly fine. I wish the NRM would do a lined version of the coal tank.

David

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:43 pm

It sounds like the tender pickup arrangements are the same as other engines I've done, where the axle ends are 2mm. I have just made up new axles, slightly shorter than the Bachmann ones, rounding off the ends, mount the new wheels on them and fit after arranging any extra clearance inside the frames. The pickup strips that bear on the axles can be twisted through 90 degrees and bent to bear on the back of the tyres. A bit of extra weight and all done, apart from any extra detailing work requires.

I found this a lot simpler than trying to reuse the existing split axle arrangement.

Philip

philip-griffiths

Postby philip-griffiths » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:26 pm

triumph3 wrote:
I will be having a closer look in the new year. It is a fabulous model, the lining is particularly fine. I wish the NRM would do a lined version of the coal tank.

David

Understand the sentiment, but the NRM only tend to produce models of locos in the collection. The Coal Tank is not in the national collection but is cared for by the Bahamas Society on behalf of the National Trust.

Regards

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”