Perseverance Chassis queries re 'ride height'

peterbkloss

Perseverance Chassis queries re 'ride height'

Postby peterbkloss » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:04 pm

Dear all

I'm fortunate enough to have collected and started to build some Perseverance chassis kits. I made one up one for the LMS Jinty tank and putting it together was really easy and the chassis I made runs really well .... BUT I forgot to check during construction about the 'ride height' and it was intended to take a scratch built polystyrene body which has a footplate base around 1mm thick, and so the resulting loco rides about that much high. So now I am going to be dismantling it (I ws going to anyway to change the gear set and motor), so I will be attempting to correct the ride height as part of the process.

Now some of the other chassis kits I have mention that they are designed for certain RTR locos, and I have a 4F and a 2P chassis kit that I want to put under the Airfix bodies that it says on the packet they are designed for. So, have any of you dear readers done this before and did you have to modify the build to get the body to sit at the right height, e.g.: adjust the height of the flexi chass etches instead of just fitting them to the cut outs as etched?

for the 2P it lists a variety of wheel diameters and I want to fit 7' wheels, so will I have to deepen the cut outs? I see no mention in the instructions ...

I'd really appreciate comment, I'm sure one of you has done this and don't want to reinvent the wheel

Thanks in advance, Peter Kloss

David Knight

Re: Perseverance Chassis queries re 'ride height'

Postby David Knight » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:45 pm

Hi Peter,

Not a Perseverance chassis but an SEF one for the Hattons SECR P class but I suspect the experience would be similar. I reduced the depth of the sides first by tack soldering them together and then rubbing down on a 2nd cut file while frequently offering up the side to the footplate to see how I was getting along. I did toy with the idea of milling off the excess but decided to err on the side of caution and it was as well that I did. There were etched cut outs that were intended for the cross members and I had to deepen them an equal amount. One other catch encountered involved supports that extended under the footplate from the sides of the frame which had to be adjusted because they fouled the brakes :? .As far as wheels go I would leave the cutouts alone especially if you have reduced the depth of the sides relative to the foot plate. I have been lucky in that the Hatton’s body and the SEF chassis might otherwise have been made for each other as far as fixings went but only once the height is reduced. The only trick now will be rigging pickups and still be able to drop wheels out.

HTH

David

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”