Suspension for bogie coaches

Will L

Re: Suspension for bogie coaches

Postby Will L » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:50 am

petermeyer wrote:No mention has been made of the Brassmasters torsion bogie which I started to use as there is no 6' 4" bogie in the MJT range. Having had no problems with them, I have since used them exclusively but do have a twin torsion from the Society to try when I get round to it.

Sorry yes, the Brassmaster bogie shares the same basic suspension methods but is a completely different design without the design issues. It was developed at much the same time and for much the same reason as the Palatine Models offering but does not give you the chance to upgrade your existing MTJ bogies.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:49 am

Looking at the assembly sequence for the Brassmasters bogies, I'm wondering about the best way to paint them. It seems there is soldering to do after fittings the wheels, suggesting that painting comes after assembly. This might require masking of the wheels (Mansell pre-painted as varnished wood), and makes it harder to paint the insides of the bogie, which would glint brassily. Possibly one should chemically blacken all the parts that are not to be soldered.

It seems to be a common feature of suspension systems that they works best as unpainted samples.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:47 pm

Will L wrote:econdly the use of press studs to fix them to the coach. A nice idea but nobody told the manufactures of press studs we would like to reliably find studs with consistent dimensions. You can't. So if you have a fleet of coaches which have apparently identical bogies you will find they aren't interchangeable.

Also no one told the manufacturers that the ability to rotate smoothly a reasonably freely is a requirement. Early kits I bought had press studs that were fine but subsequent ones the press studs were very tight and rotation was way to stiff. I tried sourcing replacement press studs but did not find any matching the originals. I don't use them any more.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:56 pm

petermeyer wrote:No mention has been made of the Brassmasters torsion bogie which I started to use as there is no 6' 4" bogie in the MJT range. Having had no problems with them, I have since used them exclusively but do have a twin torsion from the Society to try when I get round to it.

I too have used the Brassmasters bogies. They're fairly simple to build (though the brakes can be fiddly) and work. I'm not sure why there should be a problem painting them, although I tend to paint mine by hand, not airbrush.

DT

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”