Kitchen table P4 conversion of RTR loco wheels

Simon_S

Kitchen table P4 conversion of RTR loco wheels

Postby Simon_S » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:37 pm

There has been much discussion about converting RTR loco wheels to P4 by machining the original tyres on a lathe and press fitting P4 tyres. I thought I would see if this could be done with just hand tools. My guinea pig is a Heljan class 07 0-6-0 diesel shunter with 3’ 6” diameter wheels of a quite distinctive design.
1. Check that the internal diameter of the P4 tyres is larger than the RTR wheel centre. In this case, I used Alan Gibson 14mm coach wheel tyres with an internal diameter of 13mm and the plastic Heljan wheel centre is 12mm diameter so there will be some of the RTR tyre left when it is turned down to accept the P4 tyre.
2. Prepare the tyres – the AG tyres have a narrow lip of 12mm internal diameter on the front face, I removed it with a bullet shaped grinding tool in a mini-drill. This was easily done in just a few moments. The photo below shows an unmodified tyre on the left and a modified one on the right, along with the tool used. It was clear to see when the lip was removed as the chemical blacking on the rest of the bore started to be ground off.
IMG_20190214_132031.jpg

3. Remove the RTR wheels from the chassis and one wheel from each axle.
4. Reduce the outside diameter of the RTR wheel. Insert the axle and remaining wheel in the chuck of a mini-drill on a high speed setting, hold the drill horizontal and press the flange against a largish flat file held on a bench top. Using a high speed prevents any imbalance in the wheel from causing more material to be removed from one side of the wheel than the other due to the eccentric rotation.
5. Keep measuring the OD of the remaining wheel centre, it will cut quite quickly.
6. When the OD is down to 0.1mm larger than the ID of your tyre, switch to using an oilstone or wetted wet and dry paper to get a finer finish and accurate final size.
7. Stop when you reach 0.03mm over the tyre ID which will provide a light interference fit. I used a cheap digital calliper for the measurement. At this point, the plastic wheel centre was just starting to break through the original tyre.
IMG_20190214_133003.jpg

8. Apply Loctite to the wheel centre (I used Loctite 638 high strength retaining compound) and press it into the tyre between two M10 washers in a vice.
IMG_20190216_194217.jpg

9. Here’s the finished wheel:
IMG_20190214_133206.jpg

IMG_20190214_133240.jpg

10. Fit the wheels to slightly longer axles, quarter them and reassemble the chassis. I have also spaced the cosmetic sideframes out by 1mm each side and adjusted the pick-ups to suit.
IMG_20190529_224730.jpg

And here’s the finished loco doing a lap of honour on Calcutta Sidings
IMG_20190224_162946.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Horsetan

Re: Kitchen table P4 conversion of RTR loco wheels

Postby Horsetan » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:58 pm

Highly interesting. :thumb

Now that those Ultrascale tyres are available separately, it may be that your method also lends itself to converting HO RTR profiles to P87.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:00 pm

Just seen this. Would anyone recommend it for say the DJ Models Austerity wheel?
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Simon_S

Postby Simon_S » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:07 am

Could you post some close-ups of the wheels and chassis in question? If DJ used the same factory as Heljan then there's a good chance that this will work.

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”