CCU for LMS 6-wheel Bogie

Proton

CCU for LMS 6-wheel Bogie

Postby Proton » Wed May 08, 2019 9:52 pm

Hello,
I have a BSL model of an LMS 12-wheel sleeping car in OO gauge, and I need to find a source or means of compensating or springing the bogies. Any assistance appreciated please.

JF

MarkS

Re: CCU for LMS 6-wheel Bogie

Postby MarkS » Thu May 09, 2019 2:07 am

How about Bill Bedford, from Eileens Emporium ?

12'6 LMS 6-wheeled Bogie Frame - 4mm BBK1250-4
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Masokits do one also, as an alternative.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Proton

Postby Proton » Thu May 09, 2019 1:42 pm

Thanks for this guys, I think the Bill Bedford item gets my vote.

JF

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Fri May 10, 2019 7:44 am

Hi JF,

I have done a lot of Bill Bedfords over the years and recently did a pair of LMS 12'6" bogies.

The jury is still out for me as to whether it needs to have more sideplay in the centre axle (if it does, I will use one of my sliding axle solutions) and it needs a little care to make sure that all of the bearing carriers's rest positions are consistent (necessary on all bogies, but particularly a 6 wheeled bogie). Otherwise the Bill Bedfords are fairly easy.
Mark Tatlow

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Fri May 10, 2019 8:03 am

Mark Tatlow wrote:I will use one of my sliding axle solutions

Your sliding axle solution? You mean this one? Note the date.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Fri May 10, 2019 8:06 am

billbedford wrote:
Mark Tatlow wrote:I will use one of my sliding axle solutions

Your sliding axle solution? You mean this one? Note the date.

A small development of it, as was written up in the News with a credit to the origins of the idea................
Mark Tatlow

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Fri May 10, 2019 9:30 am

I tried my best with a Masokits sprung bogie for a 12-wheel Pullman. On 8 wheels it was fine, but with 12 I just couldn't get the centre axle to stay on the track. My pragmatic solution - cut-and-spread a Brassmasters twin-torsion bogie and use flangeless dummy wheels in the middle. Nobody can see, and it runs fine (which is the main factor for me).

To be fair I haven't tried the Bedford ones, but we have a couple of LMS diners so we'll give them a try.
Rod

Proton

Postby Proton » Fri May 10, 2019 1:16 pm

Mark Tatlow wrote:Hi JF,

I have done a lot of Bill Bedfords over the years and recently did a pair of LMS 12'6" bogies.

The jury is still out for me as to whether it needs to have more sideplay in the centre axle (if it does, I will use one of my sliding axle solutions) and it needs a little care to make sure that all of the bearing carriers's rest positions are consistent (necessary on all bogies, but particularly a 6 wheeled bogie). Otherwise the Bill Bedfords are fairly easy.

An interesting point. My minimum radius is 3 feet, and I use body-kadee couplers. I wonder if instead of using pin point bearings for the centre axles stub axles may be better? I will have to test it carefully when assembled. The BSL sleeper is quite heavy - around 7 ounces, so there should be ample weight to assist with road holding.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat May 11, 2019 7:44 pm

7 ounces (190 - odd grams) is a good weight for a carriage. I weight all mine to around that, most so far are rigid and ride very well. Gangways and couplings/buffers work properly. Body mounted Kadees should work well in the same way.

Philip

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”