Flywheel sources

essdee

Flywheel sources

Postby essdee » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:10 am

Searching for flywheel sources, I see Roxey do two sizes of brass flywheels for 2mm shafts, which are grub screw fittings. I am unsure how far this asymmetry will affect their rotational stability? I would prefer a close-fit Loctited version..

Any other makes that folk use, please? My experience is very limited.

Many thanks,

Steve

David B

Re: Flywheel sources

Postby David B » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:35 am

I bought mine from EM Society stores.

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:39 am

Branchlines would be worth contacting.

Brian Osborne is always very helpful. 01373 822231. sales@branchlines.com

This is from an old list so prices would be somewhat out of date!
20190202_112915.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

essdee

Postby essdee » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:08 pm

Thanks both! As I am not an EM Soc member, I will follow up that promising Branchlines list of sizes - thanks John...

Best wishes,

Steve

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:12 pm

Go DCC Steve, you won't need flywheels with all their problems ...
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

essdee

Postby essdee » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:32 pm

Heh, heh! Thanks Tim - but not my loco, so not my decision... But it's the first I have had to fit in an age, as you suggest.

See you at Wakefield!

Steve

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:18 am

A small lump of turned brass is an awful lot cheaper than a DCC system...

Philip

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:28 pm

Philip Hall wrote:A small lump of turned brass is an awful lot cheaper than a DCC system...

...or even an emf based DC controller, but considerably less effevtive.

Your flywheel does nothing when you really need it, at very slow speed, while the emf based system is at it's best at low speeds. No experience of Nigel's stay alive systems.
See viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6235#p65825
Could be good to avoid electrical continuity problems but without a back emf element they won't address chassis which have stiff spots or iron out speed variations due to changes of track level.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:21 pm

Philip Hall wrote:A small lump of turned brass is an awful lot cheaper than a DCC system...

Philip

Which goes on to produce excessive noise, and wreck motor bearings.

The flywheel is used to overcome small areas of dirt on the track, which at very low DC volts, is unable to punch through. Whereas DCC is a much higher voltage, and is able to get through the dirt.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:57 pm

I take your point Tim, but I am not a user of DCC and for reasons of expense alone am not likely to go down that road. I also have enough grief with computers and programming stuff not to want to try and understand DCC.

I have used the odd flywheel with success, not for reasons of inertia, which is largely a waste of time, but just to keep the motor turning when there is a fractional interuption to the current pickup. It is very important that the flywheel is properly balanced and supported, not just hung on the end of a motor shaft. For that reason I would favour another bearing outboard of the flywheel if it can be arranged. I also agree with Chris Pendlenton that any flywheel should be finally trued on the motor shaft that is to carry it. I also like to have as many pickups as possible, which also helps.

Maybe I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to staying with DC, but right now it still works for me.

Philip

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”