Springing & painting

BryanJohnson

Springing & painting

Postby BryanJohnson » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Is there any benefit in masking off the back of w-irons on sprung wagon chassis and coach bogies when spraying the whole underframe / bogie in order to give a metal-to-metal contact area with the bearing carrier? The alternative is to have the bearing carrier rubbing against the hardened paint.

I can see that the friction between the two parts controls 1) the freedom of the vertical movement and 2) the damping of that movement. For our purposes, I would think that allowing free movement is more important than its damping, so I have gone for smooth metal surfaces on both parts, but am wondering whether the extra masking is really needed.

Bryan

jim s-w

Re: Springing & painting

Postby jim s-w » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:12 pm

I always do. You probably need someone who doesn't though to tell you if it's a problem or not.

Not much help, sorry

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Lord Colnago

Postby Lord Colnago » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:08 am

Hi Bryan,

I usually hand paint my wagon underframes so I don't get paint on the inside contact surfaces by and large. However, if I use a Rumney underframe then I airbrush them and mask the contact areas. I think you're right to mask off and keep the contacting surfacex clean for the reasons use give.

John.
The second best priest

hughesp87

Postby hughesp87 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:33 pm

Bryan,

I always mask these surfaces before spraying, on the basis that the paint is likely to generate more friction to impair free movement of the bearing carrier. There's also a potential problem that build-up of paint could reduce the distance between the bearing cups and therefore result in tightness over the pin-points.

If necessary you can always paint any visible surfaces away from the bearing carrier with a fine paintbrush, once the wagon is assembled and checking for free running.

Hope this helps,

Geraint
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:16 pm

The other alternative is to chemically blacken, either with an etch marker pen, or gun blue, the back of the W-iron and the moving bits. After blackening they can be polished with a cotton bud or a nylon brush in a drill so they will be darkened but not gummed up.

Philip
Last edited by Philip Hall on Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BryanJohnson

Postby BryanJohnson » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:25 am

Thanks for all the responses.

They confirm my thoughts so I'll continue to mask off that part of the w-iron when spraying.

Bryan

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”