Suspension on D&S Steam Crane

Lindsay G

Suspension on D&S Steam Crane

Postby Lindsay G » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:07 pm

Has anyone introduced springing or another suspension system to the D&S 15T Steam Crane kit, how did you go about it, and how successful was the outcome?

Lindsay

Lindsay G

Re: Suspension on D&S Steam Crane

Postby Lindsay G » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:40 pm

Sorry, I should have added that my initial thoughts are towards looking at whether CSBs can be squeezed in for the 2 fixed wheels at the rear end and a sprung bogie at the front (there was a sprung bogie on the CLAG website a few years ago but I can't find it now - a prototype for a Midland loco perchance?). If I need to upload an image illustrating the wheel arrangement I can do so.

Lindsay

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:50 pm

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:44 am

Barry Luck - or more correctly his son Christopher, has built one of these and it was running successfully on Plumpton Green at the Newcastle show last weekend. Barry's web site http://www.lbscrmodels.co.uk/index.html has some pictures of the crane under construction although not showing the suspension. However there is a contact link on the home page so that may well bring forth some help. Knowing Barry, I doubt if there are any CSBs involved. :) Barry's site is well worth a look anyway to see how he does things.

I have one of these which is in the pile waiting for the round tuit and probably it will be build with one rigid bogie and one with some flexibility as would be the case for a bogie wagon.

Terry Bendall

David B

Postby David B » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:10 am

Terry Bendall wrote:
I have one of these which is in the pile waiting for the round tuit . . .

You and a few others, Terry, all waiting for the Brassmasters detailing kit. I bought a crane kit from them at the last Leatherhead S4um with the promise of the detailing kit being imminent.

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:03 pm

Hi Lindsay. I've built three of these cranes many years ago. Two were in OO and one in P4. As far as I can remember I did one of the OO and the P4 cranes with a pivot and beam type compensation.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”