Atlantic chassis question.

Re6/6

Atlantic chassis question.

Postby Re6/6 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:14 pm

Recommendations/advice please on springing arrangements for a 4-4-2 chassis build.

One loco is an H2 'Brighton Atlantic' and the other will be for an LNER C12

Many thanks.
John

Will L

Re: Atlantic chassis question.

Postby Will L » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:09 pm

Re6/6 wrote:Recommendations/advice please on springing arrangements for a 4-4-2 chassis build.

One loco is an H2 'Brighton Atlantic' and the other will be for an LNER C12

Many thanks.

You've been on here long enough to remember this John CSBs and the Single Bogie

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:52 pm

At some point (it's been pending since a 50th birthday gift of a DJH kit, with the body assembled for me) I intend to have a go at springing this beast. The reason for me deserting compensation is simply that when a fulcrum is placed under the footplate midway between the splashers the body balances perfectly. So I reasoned if ever there was an engine to spring, this would be it. My current plan is to use individual springs in the hornblocks in the conventional way.

With the time lapse has come the news that Bachmann are to produce one! But also the benefit that a drive of an hour or so one day will take me to a real one on the Bluebell. I still do want to build mine, though, for it was a gift from a group of friends. The DJH model has the wheelbase extended a fraction, which I can live with because it won't show behind the steps between the drivers. I wonder what Bachmann will make of that problem, maybe undersized wheels as often happens?

What is the origin of your model, John?

Philip

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:02 am

Will L wrote: You've been on here long enough to remember this John CSBs and the Single Bogie

Indeed Will, wrist duly slapped!

Philip Hall wrote: What is the origin of your model, John?

Thanks Phil. It's 'Jidenco/Falcon Brass'. Quite a nice build, accurate to the Russell drawing. Gibson frames will be ordered which will hopefully be accurate and not stretched. and an 'early' Portescap fitted. An updated cab will be fabricated so we can use it on the 'Newhaven Boats'

It came with both the original instructions and they make mention of "near scale wheels of 6' 7" over flanges" ('00') being available from Gibson . Colin's list shows 6' 8" are available so I reckon that wheel sizes will have to be looked into.
John

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:33 pm

John,

I would look very carefully to check that the firebox area is correct. One of the etched brass kits for the Brighton Atlantic, I'm not sure whether it's the ACE one or the Falcon Brass one, is rather underfed in that area. The Bluebell Atlantic Trust has a model and looks distinctly wrong compared with photographs.

Philip

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:47 pm

Yes indeed Phil, I've seen an ACE 'shot down' one built for a friend and the firebox area does look decidedly undernourished. Mine however does seem to capture the look OK when I compare it with the pictures in 'LBSCR Atlantics (English)'

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out ........ goes and looks at the book again...! ;)

Edit ........Actually, looking closely, there is a bit too much forward rake on the firebox front which will need rectifying.
John

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”