Loco axle lubricants

ben mason

Loco axle lubricants

Postby ben mason » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:47 pm

I have a question concerning the use of lubricants for steam locos. I've been using peco electrolube since the 80's (!) and having just recently upgraded to p4 I wonder if anything better has been created in the last 30 or so years!?

Tim V

Re: Loco axle lubricants

Postby Tim V » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:48 pm

I understood that electrolube is anything but a lubricant, and to be avoided.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:40 pm

Tim V wrote:I understood that electrolube is anything but a lubricant, and to be avoided.

I am not familiar with the Peco version but real Elecrolube used to be ( and maybe still is, but my bottle will see me out) available in 2 versions.

It is primarily a "switch lubricant" and the two versions are for arcing or non-arcing switches.
It does lubricate in the way of oil but also helps break down chemical crud like oxides.

For loco axle bearings I would say it is suitable especially for split axle fans but don't get it anywhere else. I admit I have never tried it for this purpose and would recommend keeping it away from contact with plastics as a precaution

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:55 pm

Oh no, we're into the world of quantum tunneling and the Heisenburg Uncertainty principle - sedatives (or large G&Ts) all round, quickly, please!*

PS Peco's Electrolube is, apparently, made by the electrolube company. It is claimed it can be used with 'most' plastics and is 'ideal' for lubricating motors and bearings, but personally I tried it once and have avoided it ever since. Prefer sewing machine oil for axle bearings, PTFE grease anywhere near the motor. But if 'steam locos' means 'live steam locos' it's a whole new ball game - talk to the garden railway guys ...

*Google it. All should become suitably clear - or perhaps not.
David L-T

FCA

Postby FCA » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:39 pm

I have used Peco Electrolube on my split axle locos for many years, without problems to plastic centred wheels.

Richard

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”