Black Beetles

jls_s4

Black Beetles

Postby jls_s4 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:07 pm

Just wondered if anyone had any experiences with these units when supplied with P4 wheels?

modelmaker87

Re: Black Beetles

Postby modelmaker87 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:25 pm

Jeff,

We have used a Black Beetle on our Hampshire 3H unit on Charlotte Road and haven't had a dimes worth of trouble for years, 10 years easy. I recommend them highly. I have also fitted one, based on the 100% successful performance of the 3H into my 4EPB. I made this 4EPB for our new layout which has yet to be finished, so it hasn't had any exhibition service yet, just some test runs on a few yards of track, up and down.

Cheers, Tony.

jls_s4

Postby jls_s4 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:56 pm

Tony,

Thanks - sounds good. Forthcoming project is a Metropolitan Bo-Bo with scratch built plasticard body and Black Beetle power unit and dummy. Unfortunately the 9'3'' wheelbase really needs a 37mm unit but they are only produced in 35mm or 40mm so it will have to be 6" short - I don't think it will matter provided the axle boxes line up with the wheels.

Jeff

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:31 pm

Hi Jeff

Try the Bull and instead then - also available in RTR P4 but a much better bogie with a bigger range of wheelbases. They do a central motor version too.

HTH

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

jls_s4

Postby jls_s4 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:30 pm

Any idea who can supply Bull Ants - its not on Branchlines' lists?

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:55 pm

Link is on the Scalefour Website Links page, the UK agent seems to keep a pretty small range but will probably get them in, on the other hand Hollywood foundry has a good ordering system on their website and its probably quicker and easier to order direct.
http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

jls_s4

Postby jls_s4 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:38 am

Thanks Keith - very interesting! Thanks also to Jim for pointing me in that direction.

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”