RTR modification

RJL

RTR modification

Postby RJL » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:02 pm

I have 3 RTR locos that I want to convert to S4, a Mainline G.W.Mogul, an Airfix Castle, a Hornby 4 - 4 - 0 County.

Any and all help / suggestions etc. greatly appreciated

Tim V

Re: RTR modification

Postby Tim V » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:05 pm

Isn't the Mogul a split chassis one?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:47 pm

I think the mogul was indeed a split chassis, quite poor engineering and I wouldn't consider converting that at all. The other two were, I think, tender drive and not easy to convert either, nor were the bodies accurate enough by today's standards. So, not wanting to pour cold water on your plans, my preferred option would be new etched chassis for all of them (Comet?) and do a lot of work on the upperworks for the tender driven ones. The Mainline mogul always looked quite good, if you can ignore the portly firebox (I can), and I have an etched chassis in the drawer for mine one day.

I can appreciate you might want to use the models simply because you have them. However in the case of the Castle a far better model is available from Hornby, which runs very nicely into the bargain, so that would be the way I would go for that engine. The mogul too is available with a much better mechanism from Bachmann. The County will just be an interesting project!

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Philip

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:51 pm

Philip Hall wrote:I can appreciate you might want to use the models simply because you have them. However in the case of the Castle a far better model is available from Hornby, which runs very nicely into the bargain, so that would be the way I would go for that engine. The mogul too is available with a much better mechanism from Bachmann. The County will just be an interesting project!

See the serendipitous posting that Mark has just made about Ultrascale conversions and the Hornby Castle...

http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31716#p31716

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:06 pm

Although there is of course a conversion pack for the Castle already available from Alan Gibson.

DT

RJL

Postby RJL » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:54 pm

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your input. Your comments basicially confirmed my own opinions. I am priviledged to have a complete workshop at my disposal, the remnants of my Scientific / Medical Instrument business, so have an advantage over most modellers.
As a matter of interest, I am going to try building a basic chassis in solid Brass for the mogul, incorporating the motor and gears from the original. The Castle will get a conversion kit.

Any further observations on the above would be appreciated.

RJL

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed May 21, 2014 11:01 am

Philip Hall wrote:I think the mogul was indeed a split chassis, quite poor engineering and I wouldn't consider converting that at all. ...my preferred option would be new etched chassis for all of them (Comet?) ....

David Geen will sell you a Malcolm Mitchell 43xx chassis "kit", split from the full loco kit. I think the last time anyone asked, the chassis frets cost about £65, but that was some time ago.....
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”