Axel sourcing

Simon Handby

Axel sourcing

Postby Simon Handby » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:01 am

Greetings from the Apple Isle
I model Tasmanian 4mm but want to do my next layout on 14mm track (3'6")
I'm currently using 25mm pinpoint axels (Steam Era) on 16.5mm track, but having difficulty sourcing 22.5 mm approx to go on handmade 14mm track. I say approx because I'm going to have to lost wax cast some bogies and there maybe very small fractions of a mm that I can "take up" in the arch bar bogies design.
So question; Is there a little manufacturer who already has produced a 4mm arch bar bogie for 14mm track. I haven't found one but Tassie can be a little like living on the dark side of the moon some times.
Secondly is there a manufacturer of 2mm x 22.5mm? pinpoint axels. I've tried Messer Gibson and Markits. The Markits fellow may have a few 22.7mm but I'm hoping for a regular supplier if possible.
Cheers
Simon Handby

wally

Re: Axel sourcing

Postby wally » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:13 pm

Try to google "K B Scale" they do 14mm gauge narrow gauge bits for 7mm scale, also try the N G R M online forum which covers a wide range of options in many scales.

Wally

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:07 pm

7mm scale bitsw are unlikely to help, I have asembled two bogies for my Zambian experiments using modified Masokits etched parts, (there are plenty of cosmetic sideframes available for 5'6" wheelbase which was common on ZR). I have not yet written this up or taken pics but the loco features here.
I have not found any useful parts from the 3mm gang as yet! So for pinpoint axles I have used the Exactoscale 1mm pinpoints. As these are used in a 2mm outside diameter sleeve its just a matter of cutting a section out of the middle then the overall length can be set to whatever you want when inserted into the sleeve with a bit of Loctite. I have found this simpler and more accurate than trying to turn my own new pinpoints. (The Masokits bits are for 5'6" wheelbase, if yours are shorter it is probably going to be simpler to have some etchings done for the correct size, although maybe you don't need etched internal frames if your castings will be functional).
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

wally

Postby wally » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Just checked K B Scale web site, they are listing

1.5 x 23 mm or 2 x 26 mm axles, not exactly to spec but pretty close if you can make "allowances".

Wally

Simon Handby

Postby Simon Handby » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:14 pm

Many thanks,
Just a thought: do we know who manufactures all there various axels? I appreciate they probably come in big numbers, but I will need a couple of hundred or more as I also sell kits of Tassie stuff.
Cheers
Simon

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Simon, have you asked David Folkes of Steam era? He is a nice guy and living on Phillip island is not all that far from Tassie. He may be able to do a batch for you. I know he does do some experimental stuff of his own.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Are you intending to do scale wheels? If so the axle length should be 21.1 to come in the centre of the journals as is normal for pin points, 22.5 is going to need deep bearings or is going to push the sideframes out, which may be needed if you plan on overwidth wheels.
The Exactoscale axles are now from C&L but quite a lot of work if you are building in 100s. That may well be enough to get them specially made, maybe as complete wheelsets so you get the correct size of wheels as well, what size did they mostly use in Tassie?
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Simon Handby

Postby Simon Handby » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi Keith,
I appreciate the thoughts re 21.1mm axils. Because I make my own 4 wheel side frames and am also doing the bogies in lost wax I can be a bit flexible with tolerances and so on. Steam Era wheels are on 25mm axels for bogies and 23.8mm axels for 4 wheelers. So 21.1mm (ish would be good), if I can find them.
The whole thing is a bit of a compromise really.
My original attempt at 14 mm was just to move the wheels 1.25 mm closer together each side but the gap between bogies and side frames looked just awful.
I make a range of Tassie rolling stock for 16.5 mm because most of the Tassie enthusiasts just like to buy Peco flexitrack and points ect.
Re wheels: I'll be using 10.5mm 10 spoke, and disc, which from a side view are terrific but from a cross sectional point of view are at best close. Compromise again.
Mechanisms are from Bullant (8 wheel drive for the X and Y class) and getting 14mm stuff is not a problem. I do like the Black Beetles from Steam Era but because the motor sits between the wheels we can't get to 14mm.
My preferred outcome is to find a supplier of completed wheel sets but failing that I'm happy to source the bits and go from there.
Do people like Gibson, C&L ect make there own axels or do they get them from some body. I'll have to ask.
Cheers
Simon

Simon Handby

Postby Simon Handby » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:52 am

Hi There
David folks at Steam Era has been most accomodating, and axels are on there way.
The only other query I have at the moment is sourcing 14mm track gauges for my hand built 14mm track. I would prefere roller gauges but not sure if there is a supplier. Mr google has not been forth comming. Any thought please?
Cheers
Simon Handby

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:17 am

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:41 am

I just use a bit of brass or steel strip and carefully file notches in it to suit, doesn't take long.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”