Non-working Exactoscale couplings CH001B

MPR

Non-working Exactoscale couplings CH001B

Postby MPR » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:57 pm

With only a few weeks to to Railwells, I thought I had better convert another locomotive as a spare for Torre. The selected victim is a Heljan Hymek, to which I decided to add non-working Exactoscale couplings, which I have had in store for a very long time. I seem to have lost the instructions, though!
The links obviously fit on the double-ended handrail knob pivots, but there are then three components left, a threaded rod, a sleeve that fits over the threaded rod, and length of wire with a blob on each end. So what represents what and how does it go together?
Thanks in advance,
Martin

martinm

Re: Non-working Exactoscale couplings CH001B

Postby martinm » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:31 pm

I don't know about that 'model', but googling found a diagram of screw couplings that seems to match your description of parts - see http://www.exactoscale.co.uk/4mmrollingstock.html.
There have been a few sold on eBay, perhaps with instructions, so someone might he the original paperwork?
martin

MPR

Postby MPR » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks for the reference - the working version is somewhat different though to the approximate versions in the parts I have. I searched on some old ebay auctions, but all the lots seemed to have no instructions either!

Will L

Postby Will L » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:39 pm

MPR wrote:With only a few weeks to to Railwells, I thought I had better convert another locomotive as a spare for Torre. The selected victim is a Heljan Hymek, to which I decided to add non-working Exactoscale couplings, which I have had in store for a very long time. I seem to have lost the instructions, though!
The links obviously fit on the double-ended handrail knob pivots, but there are then three components left, a threaded rod, a sleeve that fits over the threaded rod, and length of wire with a blob on each end. So what represents what and how does it go together?
Thanks in advance,
Martin

I'm not families with a non working version but I think you'll find you solder a bit of the wire with blob to the sleeve to form the tommy bar. Presumably for a non working version the "double-ended handrail knob pivots" are drilled and threaded to fit the rod and screw on to the rod with the sleeve/tommy bar trapped between. The working version is similar but a bit more complicated, the rod is actually a bolt with a head, and one of the "double-ended handrail knob pivots" is drilled clearance for the bolt.

Will

BryanJohnson

Postby BryanJohnson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:09 pm

I'd agree with Will's description. I've got an unopened packet in front of me - CH001B priced £2.06 so that shows how old it is. There aren't any instructions included.
Note that the links have different lengths; the shorter one should be fitted to the drilled "double-ended handrail knob pivot" and the longer to the threaded one.
When complete, it is the shorter one which is fitted to the coupling hook leaving the longer link free.

If you get stuck, get back to me and I'll have a closer look.

Bryan

MPR

Postby MPR » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:10 pm

I think that both hand-rail knobs are drilled rather than threaded- the screw thread passes through, but the unthreaded portion does not. The small brass sleeve passes all the way to the head of the screw, as you see in the photo enclosed. I'm sure you are correct that the wire is supposed to represent the tommy bar and that it is soldered to the brass sleeve, but the only way I can make sense of the screw is that it is supposed to be super-glued to the knobs at either end and then cropped short...

Thanks for reminding me that the top-link is the longest, I am sure that I would have forgotten that!

Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:43 pm

There were instructions for these, covering both working and non-working versions. Scan follows.
Regards
Keith
Exactoscale screw coupling.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

MPR

Postby MPR » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:20 pm

Thanks Keith, that's exactly what I need. It looks very much like the attachment of the threads is supposed to be glued at both ends for the non-working version

Regards

Martin

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:38 pm

Reference to item (3) in the instructions only requires one end to be glued, makes sense to me since the other end is held on by the screwhead.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Jonathan Hughes

Postby Jonathan Hughes » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:44 pm

I thought there'd be something on here. I'm just looking at a working screw coupling and realised that the last time I made one there were some very good instructions to warn you how to take precautions against lost bits and assemble in order.... but there were none with the current one and of course the website has gone :-( I'll have a careful read and work this out ... maybe with a magnifying glass as my eyesight is not as good as when I assembled the last ones... but pleased to find it here :thumb
Jon

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:30 pm

I also need some screw coupling hooks but think the Exactoscale versions at £13.50 just a tad too expensive to get right at the moment for the models on my workbench. In the past I have used Smiths but they seems a little over sized.
At the moment I would prefer not to have to cobble together my own version so are there any recommendations out there please as to an alternative that would lokk the part, but not necessarily fully working.
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:40 pm

The Masokits ones have good reviews, though I can't yet personally vouch for them. Just need to get round to sorting an order!

Winander

Postby Winander » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:32 am

Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”