Quartering jig

Andy W

Quartering jig

Postby Andy W » Tue May 14, 2013 9:59 am

For years now I've relied on the excellent George Watts wheel press to both fix and quarter my wheels. However, the little 0-4-0T I'm building has such a small crank throw that the pins don't sit in the slots. I've gone into a sweat at the thought of doing quartering again. Does anyone know a dodge to still use the GW tool?

I don't think Bill Bedford still makes his quartering jig does he? Does anyone know if any of the traders at the EM show or Railex might sell such a beast?

Failing this I think I'll have to make one as proposed by Allan Ferguson in his excellent series: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=666&hilit=allan+ferguson
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

David Thorpe

Re: Quartering jig

Postby David Thorpe » Tue May 14, 2013 11:16 am

You're not doing the High level Hudswell Clarke by any chance, are you?

DT

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Tue May 14, 2013 11:26 am

No but similar. I'll post the build when it's done. The wheels are the same though - Alan Gibson 2'9" with 7 1/2" throw. I'm tempted to elongate the jigs slots a tad.

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Tue May 14, 2013 12:58 pm

Ealing wrote:For years now I've relied on the excellent George Watts wheel press to both fix and quarter my wheels. However, the little 0-4-0T I'm building has such a small crank throw that the pins don't sit in the slots. I've gone into a sweat at the thought of doing quartering again. Does anyone know a dodge to still use the GW tool?

I don't think Bill Bedford still makes his quartering jig does he? Does anyone know if any of the traders at the EM show or Railex might sell such a beast?

Failing this I think I'll have to make one as proposed by Allan Ferguson in his excellent series: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=666&hilit=allan+ferguson

Honour where honour's due! The excellent series was done by my colleague and namesake Allan Goodwillie. My small contribution was a picture of my own design of quartering jig, which gives true 90 degree quartering. But I'm afraid I've used the GWW jig for a good few years now.

Allan F

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Tue May 14, 2013 2:10 pm

Apologies for getting you Allans mixed up. However, excellent contributions by both of you! This may have been answered in the original thread, but why are the jig's inner plates (yellow in the diagram) cut away at the sides, rather than all four being the same shape (as the blue)?

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Tue May 14, 2013 2:23 pm

Actually I've just found your "simpler" jig which looks much easier to make. Thanks.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=666&hilit=allan+ferguson&start=50

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Tue May 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Ealing wrote:I don't think Bill Bedford still makes his quartering jig does he? Does anyone know if any of the traders at the EM show or Railex might sell such a beast?

The Bill Bedford jig is now available from Eileen's Emporium, and they should have some at Expo this week end.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Tue May 14, 2013 3:49 pm

Thanks Bill.

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”