Hornblocks for 3mm axels

the fatadder

Hornblocks for 3mm axels

Postby the fatadder » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:55 am

I have recently bought a few sets of 3 mm diameter axels to get some rtr chassis running in p4
However in the long run my intention is to replace with etched chassis

I would like to know if anyone sells a hornblock which is compatable with 3mm diameter axels so that when I do replace the chassis I can keep the wheels

To add to this I have often found that ultrascale drop in packs with 3mm axles are a lot more common 2nd hand (and a lot cheaper than new)

A quick google hasn't resulted in anything useful (other than a link to rmweb which is not working on the phone) Any ideas?

Thanks
Rich

Alan Turner

Re: Hornblocks for 3mm axels

Postby Alan Turner » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:00 am

Exactoscale do 3mm hornblocks.

regards

Alan

the fatadder

Postby the fatadder » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:13 am

I could only see imperial dimensions on exactoscales website,
Will give c&l a call next month post takeover and hopefully sort some out.

I picked up a cheap set of ultrascales for a bachmann 2251, which hopefully will now get used in my high level chassis

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:01 am

Exactoscale 4LS 102B.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:44 pm

I also want to buy some of these bearings, but we shall all have to exercise a little patience.

Due to illness, Exactoscale are not in a positon to process any further orders, pending the handover of the business to C&L Finescale, which is currently expected to take place on 5 November.

It will take time after that for stock to be sorted out by C&L and for the backclog of orders to be processed, so I am going to hold off ordering the items I want until the end of the year. I suggest others would be well advised to do likewise.

There is no point in pestering either Exactoscale or C&L Finescale in the meantime. It won't make things happen any faster. It's neither the fault of Exactoscale nor C&L Finescale that this hiatus has occurred. It is just one of those things, due to factors beyond anyone's control.

the fatadder

Postby the fatadder » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:16 pm

Of course
Once c&l say that they are up and running I will get some ordered

Are they much different to use than the high level ones the chassis comes with?

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:38 pm

the fatadder wrote:Are they much different to use than the high level ones the chassis comes with?

The HLs are 4.8mm a/f, whereas I think the Exacto brass blocks are either 4mm or 5mm square - unfortunately there's no drawing on the Exacto site (unusual for Exacto, who are good at providing 'essential dimensions'). The Exactos don't have bespoke carriers of course.

Petri Sallinen

Postby Petri Sallinen » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:11 pm

I have used square bearings made by North Yard Model of New Zealand. Their square bearings are not same type as UK hornblocks but in some cases they might work as well. Diameters of their bearings are 3x5sqx2,8. The material is sintered bronze. You will find the picture of that in their catalog on page 3 (the product number is 373).

http://northyard.co.nz/

Petri
Helsinki, Finland

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”