Bill Bedford Springing units

jjnewitt

Re: Bill Bedford Springing units

Postby jjnewitt » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:18 pm

Russ Elliott wrote:I'm afraid we don't have a specified range for buffer heights. The "getting it all right" brigade delight in telling us about all sorts of unhelpful prototype values. I try to aim for a consistent 13.8mm."

Interesting article Russ. My back issues of the snooze don't go back that far. Would it not be helpful to specify a minimum buffer height to be used? If I used a buufer height of 13.5mm and someone has designed something to give a buffer height of 14mm then there's going to be an issue. You could add more weight to lower things but then the relationship between the axle centres and axleboxes are is to be off. You'd be into finding smaller diameter wheels that give you the corect buffer height. Or, given the importance of consistent buffer heights, would it not be a good idea for the society to have a specified standard?

Quite so, but the ultimate reference can only be to buffer height. The relationship of axlebox centre to axle centre is not controllable by a W-iron manufacturer. What is controllable is the elevation of the W-iron shape itself to the axle centre.

But if the relationship between the W-Iron shape and the axle centre is correct then it follows that the axle centre will line up with the axleboxes if the relationship to the solebar is correct (and the axlebox and spring mouldings are correct of course). So in effect it is controllable by the W-Iron manufacturer, at least in theory.

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:23 pm

jjnewitt wrote:Would it not be helpful to specify a minimum buffer height to be used?

I get your drift, but that will merely pander to the druid faction, who will tell you that the Muddlecombe on Slush Railway had all its buffers set at 12.0273mm. A pox on their cause, I say.

If I used a buufer height of 13.5mm and someone has designed something to give a buffer height of 14mm then there's going to be an issue.

I can live with 14mm. 0.2mm astray is no biggie.

You could add more weight to lower things but then the relationship between the axle centres and axleboxes are is to be off.

Precisely. Think differently. Think 13.8. Think packing strategy. The essence of the packing strategy is to allow a realistic predetermined weight and a standardised buffer height. Double-plus good. Unless manufacturers really balls things up (not uncommon), the axle centre to box centre error is likely to be 0.2mm max, and a little height graunching in the axlebox borehole might be necessary. A small price to pay for the 13.8 cause.

You'd be into finding smaller diameter wheels that give you the corect buffer height.

Fat chance of finding correct diameter wheels, and most of the manufacturers haven't got a clue what kind of buffer height they are designing for anyway. And even if they do know, there's zero chance of them telling you what it is, unless they're total nutters. Think packing strategy. Thank the manufacturers who facilitate packing strategy, and curse those whose where you have to grind off 3mm from their wretched products.

Or, given the importance of consistent buffer heights, would it not be a good idea for the society to have a specified standard?

Pigs might fly.

In the meantime, join the 13.8 rebel alliance, and say Yaboo Sucks to the 'getting it all right', the 'haven't got a clue' and the 'I use Schliefenhopperburgers, so what's all the fuss about?' brigades.

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:34 pm

[quote="Russ Elliott] In the meantime, join the 13.8 rebel alliance, and say Yaboo Sucks to the 'getting it all right', the 'haven't got a clue' and the 'I use Schliefenhopperburgers, so what's all the fuss about?' brigades.[/quote]

I do like your thinking, Russ!

Allan F

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:14 am

jjnewitt wrote:
Russ Elliott wrote:I'm afraid we don't have a specified range for buffer heights. The "getting it all right" brigade delight in telling us about all sorts of unhelpful prototype values. I try to aim for a consistent 13.8mm."

Interesting article Russ. My back issues of the snooze don't go back that far.

Just as an FYI, there is the full history of all of the backnumbers of Scalefour News downloadable as pdf files in the Members' Area. You'll find the journal of Protofour Society there as well, which also contains some real nuggets of information.

Thanks should be given to Keith Norgrove and others for the efforts in capturing the early days of the Society(s) and making them available to us. And of course to EditorJames and WebmasterRob for enabling this facility to be continued.

Cheers
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:18 am

Russ Elliott wrote:
jjnewitt wrote:Would it not be helpful to specify a minimum buffer height to be used?

I get your drift, but that will merely pander to the druid faction, who will tell you that the Muddlecombe on Slush Railway had all its buffers set at 12.0273mm. A pox on their cause, I say.

If I used a buufer height of 13.5mm and someone has designed something to give a buffer height of 14mm then there's going to be an issue.

I can live with 14mm. 0.2mm astray is no biggie.

You could add more weight to lower things but then the relationship between the axle centres and axleboxes are is to be off.

Precisely. Think differently. Think 13.8. Think packing strategy. The essence of the packing strategy is to allow a realistic predetermined weight and a standardised buffer height. Double-plus good. Unless manufacturers really balls things up (not uncommon), the axle centre to box centre error is likely to be 0.2mm max, and a little height graunching in the axlebox borehole might be necessary. A small price to pay for the 13.8 cause.

You'd be into finding smaller diameter wheels that give you the corect buffer height.

Fat chance of finding correct diameter wheels, and most of the manufacturers haven't got a clue what kind of buffer height they are designing for anyway. And even if they do know, there's zero chance of them telling you what it is, unless they're total nutters. Think packing strategy. Thank the manufacturers who facilitate packing strategy, and curse those whose where you have to grind off 3mm from their wretched products.

Or, given the importance of consistent buffer heights, would it not be a good idea for the society to have a specified standard?

Pigs might fly.

In the meantime, join the 13.8 rebel alliance, and say Yaboo Sucks to the 'getting it all right', the 'haven't got a clue' and the 'I use Schliefenhopperburgers, so what's all the fuss about?' brigades.

How did I miss this the first time around. Personally I would have thought "getting it all right" implied quite a significant tolerance factor mostly below the norm, but Ok I join, but mostly because I so enjoyed the way you said it.

Will

Will

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:10 pm

Will L wrote:How did I miss this the first time around. Personally I would have thought "getting it all right" implied quite a significant tolerance factor mostly below the norm, but Ok I join, but mostly because I so enjoyed the way you said it.

"Getting it all right" would presumably incorporate the full size tolerance of 3 inches between empty and loaded wagons.

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”