Bachmann Pannier 8750 conversion

Strandline

Bachmann Pannier 8750 conversion

Postby Strandline » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:21 am

I'm looking to convert a Bachmann Pannier 8750 to P4 (first conversion and now need to build some test track for it). I've read an article on the Ultrascale site where someone has used their conversion kit and made it look relatively easy, so thought I would go the same way.

The model number of the loco in the review was 32-202, whereas mine is 32-209. Is anyone able to say whether this kit would fit please? I suspect that as the review is from 2008 my loco could be an update of the other, but being new to model railways in general (not just P4) I am unaware of the difference.

I have contacted Ultrascale but they were unable to advise as they did not know what difference there was between the model numbers.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Bachmann Pannier 8750 conversion

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:24 am

If yours matches this service sheet then the kit should fit.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:25 am

Its the same chassis as I have one of that release though its not one of the 3 with P4 wheels at the moment!

You might find your chassis has the Buhler motor and coarser gear Bachmann fitted to earlier releases which i've found isn't as good as the later Bachmann own brand fitting.

Its a simple job to put the wheels in though you will have to chop off and reattach the brake shoes slightly further out. I'd also suggest getting some Laserglaze front windows for it from Shawplan as they do make a big difference in getting rid of the clear plastic in the cab and prismatic effect.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:05 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:If yours matches this service sheet then the kit should fit.
Regards
Keith

Looking at the service sheet, and a couple of googled images, it looks like the code 3220 refers to the model number, and the ultimate digit is the livery code.

202 and 209 are both BR black, but with the earlier lion on wheel and later totem as the difference.

So my educated guess would be that you will have no problems due to the different numbers at all :-)

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Strandline

Postby Strandline » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:34 pm

Many thanks for the replies chaps, and Ultrascale have also come back after doing some research. They also said that if the model matched that service sheet that they would fit.

As the sheet that came in the box was indeed that one I shall be ordering the kit this evening. Just have to wait for them now!

And I have had a look inside Craig and it is the Bachmann motor in there rather than the one you mentioned.

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:46 pm

Strandline wrote:...And I have had a look inside Craig and it is the Bachmann motor in there....

Must have been a surprise for both of you.

Will

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:20 pm

Will L wrote:
Strandline wrote:...And I have had a look inside Craig and it is the Bachmann motor in there....

Must have been a surprise for both of you.

Will

:shock: .. Still, might explain the slow running abilities of my modelling recently :P .

Strandline

Postby Strandline » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:26 pm

:D perhaps I could have worded that better...

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:06 pm

When I converted mine (using the Ultrascale conversion set), I managed to avoid removing the brake shoes. The brake pull rods need thinning down, but that is the only adpatation I found it necessary to make.

It seems that the Bachmann 8750/5700 chassis can also be relied upon to be accurately machined (like the 2251, but unlike some examples of the 45XX and, so I am informed, some of their 08 diesel shunter chassis).

Strandline

Postby Strandline » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:53 pm

Thanks Martin, that's good to know. Ordered the kit yesterday so just a three month wait now till I can try it!

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”