CSB Wire?

sammakins

CSB Wire?

Postby sammakins » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:35 pm

What sort of wire do people use for CSBs and what are reccomended gauges? I have a Bill Bedford jinty chassis but need wire for the springs.
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Sam

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: CSB Wire?

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:44 pm

sammakins wrote:What sort of wire do people use for CSBs and what are reccomended gauges? I have a Bill Bedford jinty chassis but need wire for the springs.
Thanks
Sam

Hi Sam,

Guitar strings... As recommended on E4um by Ted Scannell, many, many times over.

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings/electric_guitar/ernie_ball/singles/2

or http://www.cheapstrings.co.uk/

I believe that the standard response is to say start with a 12 thou, and see where the body sits. With strings at 90p a pop or so, you can get a whole range or weights in and try what suits best for the loco body weight that you have.

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:35 am

sammakins wrote:What sort of wire do people use for CSBs and what are reccomended gauges? I have a Bill Bedford jinty chassis but need wire for the springs.
Thanks
Sam

My first CSB chassis is a Bill Bedford 3F which came with .011 wire included, don't yet know if I will change that as it will depend on how much lead I put in and buffer height. In a naked chassis it seems too stiff but that is an illusion.
When my wobbly wheel is sorted, it will be only a short time to loco completion so will report back then.

The latest (3rd) version of the CSB spreadsheet is easiest to understand and gives instant recommendation for wire gauge for a loco and translates it between mm, thou and SWG to suit all tastes

sammakins

Postby sammakins » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Many thanks for the help, got some strings on the way.

Regards
Sam

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”