Alan Gibson Brass Centred wheels

Will L

Re: Alan Gibson Brass Centred wheels

Postby Will L » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:45 pm

Copper sulphate will do the job though it doesn't stick quite as well as we would like. Copper cyanide does a better job but is a bit poisonous for hobby use. A reasonably concentrated copper sulphate, nice and blue, solution should do. I don't think it demands an accurately measured solution.

Will

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:08 am

Bryan.

You've come so far with the wheel work, have you considered making your own for the specials?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

hollybeau

Postby hollybeau » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:17 pm

Tim,

Thanks for the idea but I don't believe my skills are up to it. I have read the Manchester Model Railway Society's page on wheel making and although they make it sound easy it looks pretty frightening to me. I have no idea of the process but did consider the possibility of using the Sharman wheel (sans tyre) as the basis of a lost wax casting. That would mean in reality finding someone to do a one-off (or rather a two-off if you get my meaning). There is also the problem of getting the tyre off without damaging the nylon inner as I seem to recall that Sharman wheels, unlike Gibsons, have the tyre fixed into the mouldings.
Currently I am set on the copper plating trick and have found some copper sulphate on Ebay and ordered that. Results (success or failure) to follow in due course.

Bryan

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:47 pm

6ft6in wheels.PNG

Have you condidered using 3D printing in metal to make special wheels. The picture show a GC wheel to P4 profile but is more easily done without this and add a steel tyre from elsewhere.
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

hollybeau

Postby hollybeau » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks John,

I haven't considered this as I have never heard of it! (although come to think I recall seing something on the BBC technology progarnmme, "Click"). I shall Google it and have a look. I imagine the set up costs must be significant and not viable for a "two-off". Anyone out there any experience of this technology?

Bryan

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:38 pm

hollybeau wrote: Anyone out there any experience of this technology?

Bill Bedford has done wheels by this rout which he had on his stall at Scaleforum.

Will

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:51 am

Cost of the wheels is dependent on material used and for the spokes, which may be less than 2" wide, most metals are not possible except silver, but you could use this to make a master?
However, using "black, strong and flexible" for the inner - i.e. ecluding the tyre, the cost of a set of 6 wheels for the 6'6" wheel shown earlier is 24.39 euros, or about £20.
Delivery usually takes about 3 weeks.

BB may be able to tell you more but I feel an experiment coming on ...

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Will L

Postby Will L » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:58 am

Sorry John, I had temporarily forgotten that you have been working in this area too. I was too focused on wheels perhaps.

Will

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”