Rust on wheels

David Thorpe

Rust on wheels

Postby David Thorpe » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:21 am

Does anyone know of an effective way of dealing with rust patches that appear on steel-tyred Gibson driving wheels? I can remove most of it with the ubiquitous fibreglass pen, but suspect that that is not curing the problem, merely postponing it.

DT

frizby

Re: Rust on wheels

Postby frizby » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:46 am

Morning,

I have to ask wherer the moisture is coming from? - actually after burnishing, the surface is very prone to rusting. Similar effect to haning something steel shotblasted
-= you can watch it rust before your eyes :(

As to prevention, just wipe an 'oily' rag over them immediately after you've finished your cleaning.

Andy

Will L

Postby Will L » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:43 am

DaveyTee wrote:Does anyone know of an effective way of dealing with rust patches that appear on steel-tyred Gibson driving wheels? I can remove most of it with the ubiquitous fibreglass pen, but suspect that that is not curing the problem, merely postponing it.DT

Only if the conditions that produce it continue. Much as I try to keep flux away from wheels I do get the occasional spot of flux induced tarnish during the building phase but I just remove it with the fibre glass brush and I don't seem to get recusance. Mind my loco's do live in boxes in a nice warm dry house.

frizby wrote: ...actually after burnishing, the surface is very prone to rusting. Similar effect to having something steel shotblasted
-= you can watch it rust before your eyes :(

I clean the tyres with the fibre glass brush too, so if that really was a rust receipt I would be in trouble.

Will

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:56 am

Good point Will, any soldering should be done away from steel tools and wheels. Flux can spit over your other work.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

FCA

Postby FCA » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:55 am

I would recommend neutralizing rinse to remove all residues then burnish with a clean fibreglass brush.

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:08 pm

FCA wrote:I would recommend neutralizing rinse to remove all residues then burnish with a clean fibreglass brush.

And remember that if you get a steel item wet you must also get it thoroughly dry afterwards.

Will

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”