CSBs and the Single Bogie

Will L

Re: CSBs and the Single Bogie

Postby Will L » Tue May 24, 2011 11:59 am

Craig commented at an early stage of this thread and some time ago

craig_whilding wrote:Two methods I can think of -

1 - You count the bearer the bogie is pushing against as an axlebox and attach it to the CSB and provide it with hornguides.

2 - You tap a tube for a screw in one end and a coil spring in the other and allow the height of the bogie to be adjusted finely by the screw but this is still effectively independent of the CSB. The pivot would need to be a tube on the bogie outside of the body tube with the spring in.

Spot on I should have said, but I didn't want to comment at the time as to do so would have been to give away the plot of what was to follow! So now you can see I considered both of these approaches but ended up doing something different.

Will

ScottW

Postby ScottW » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:34 pm

Will L wrote:Again start with a S4CSB and separate sprung bogie. Set the CofG to be 1/3 of the way from the centre of the driving axles to the bogie pin and the bogie will carry 1/3 of the loco weight. You can choose some other weight distribution if you wish. I will post more details on how to work it out, but later.

I'm just about to embark on building a 4-4-0T. I have decided to fit CSB and found your article both interesting and helpful, is there any chance you could expand on how you worked out the CSB plot for the shift in CofG.

Regards,

Scott

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:23 pm

ScottW wrote:I'm just about to embark on building a 4-4-0T. I have decided to fit CSB and found your article both interesting and helpful, is there any chance you could expand on how you worked out the CSB plot for the shift in CofG.

Hi Scott, good luck fitting your 4-4-0 with CSB.

The additional information, signed posted at the end of this thread about setting up CSB chassis with some weight on a bogie, actually turned up the CSBs a question of Gravity thread. It may not be immediately apparent at the beginning but it does get there. So have a read and then if you've got questions I'll be very happy to help.

Will

ScottW

Postby ScottW » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:24 pm

Will L wrote:Hi Scott, good luck fitting your 4-4-0 with CSB.

Thanks Will.

Having read the article and revisited this one I relise I had picked up the wrong end of the stick. Originally I understood that you had altered the position of the fulcrum points of the CSB chassis to alter the C of G, quite simply you have altered the weight the loco. Doh!!!

Harking back to my apprenticeship days "read the f**kin question!!"

Regards,

Scott

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”