Replacements for Anchorage Motors

johnmand

Replacements for Anchorage Motors

Postby johnmand » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:32 pm

What are the replacement motors for the long defunct Anchorage (Anchoridge??)range of motors such as DS10, D11 and D13 with 2.0mm shafts? I need them to re-motor several OO 16.5mm locos with >10.00mm between frames. I apologise for using this medium for such alien beings, but my P4 layout Hedleyhope uses them as well!! The Mashima range used to have such replacements but I am having difficulty locating them.

Regards, John Anderson (Johnmand)

Tim V

Re: Replacements for Anchorage Motors

Postby Tim V » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:48 pm

Of course, the small 10mm cans have a 1.5mm shaft.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:10 pm

High Level sell 10XX series motors. They may also sell their worms separately. Alternatively Ultrascale sell 1.5 mm ID worms.

or use a 14XX or 16XX which have 2mm shafts.

Alan

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:34 am

John,

London Road Models sell the Mashima range of motors including the 10XX range, 15, 20 or 24 mm long (http://www.londonroadmodels.co.uk.). These have a 1.5mm shaft so are a direct replacement for the DS10 in that sense. However, the end mounting screws on the 10xx are 8.5 mm apart whereas the DS10 are 10.0mm apart IIRC. If the motors are fitted to an etched motor mount, you may have to consider replacing those (and possibly the gears as well). If the models were built with "Romford" gears you may have difficulty getting mounts that take the Mashima motors with Romford gears. However, LRM can probably supply those, although they aren't listed on the website (generally because the Romford profile of gear isn't very popular these days with "finescale" modellers).

I can't remember what the configuration of the D11 and D13 was. If they had 2.0 mm shafts they were much largertan the 10xx and 12xx, like the Mashima 14xx flat can motors and the (no longer available) 16xx series. 14xx is the model numbers that LRM use, although some suppliers use 16xx for the 14mm wide flat can motors (the overall diameter is 16mm). Comet Models and Roxey Mouldings describe them thus.

LRM supply 38:1 or 50:1 gearsets (in the style pioneered by Ultrascale and also now available from LRM, AG, Branchlines and Markits, amongst others). The LRM gears are brass and the worms are steel, both retained by grubscrews. Ultrascale worms are nylon and have to be retained by a fixative, in my experience.

I hope this helps!

Jol

johnmand

Postby johnmand » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Many thanks to those who replied to my querie, especially Jol. I have been doing more trawling over the net and have discovered that the nearest Anchoridge replacements by Mashima are: DS10 = MH 1015, D11 = MH 1020 and D13 = MH 1024. All are 10mm wide and have 1.5mm dia shafts. The latter is of no great importance as I have some 2.00mm OD x 1.4mm bore brass tube that I can use as a sleeve opened out to 1.5mm dia so that I can re-use the existing 2.00mm bore Romford worm, the brass wheel and motor mount. The different fixing-screw centres will be alterred to suit or a spot of Araldite will secure, using a piece of tissue paper to give worm and wheel clearance whilst the Araldite hardens. These measures will preclude the difficult dismantling and re-assembly of the locos which all have compensated chassis and outside valve gear. Most of this info was gleaned from the comprehensive Mashima drawings appearing on 'sales@finneyandsmith.co.uk' who stock a full range of their motors. For those like me who did not know, it appears that to the best of my knowledge, Anchoridge part numbers were derived from the overall length of the armature windings in millimetrers, and the Mashima numbers are derived by the combination of the motor width and the distance over the bearing housings, again in millimeters.

Johnmand

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”