Blackener for wheels.

simonmoore

Blackener for wheels.

Postby simonmoore » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:55 pm

Hey guys,

Can anyone give me a good brand of blackener which i can use with Ultrascale wheels which won't affect the wheels. I was thinking about painting them but i find it chips easy when i painted on & thought that blackener might be a good route to go down but just wondered if anyone could give me a good brand to use.

Cheers

Simon.

Tim V

Re: Blackener for wheels.

Postby Tim V » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:56 pm

Permanent felt tip pen.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:32 pm

Tim V wrote:Permanent felt tip pen.

As opposed to a temporary one... :P

Ultrascale do say something about blackeners invalidating product guarantees or similar on their website, don't they?
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

simonmoore

Postby simonmoore » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:37 pm

Yes Captain they do,

It states on the packet here;

Special note

No liability will be accepted for damage to wheel tyre,s after the use of any blackening agent applied to them.

Tim V i shall try your idea out i didn't think about that i shall see what the results are in due course.

Cheers

Simon.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:40 pm

Chemical blackener won't usually affect wheel rims (so long as you're very sparing with the fluid and properly wash it off promptly) but, owing to people being stupid with the use of chemicals in the past, Ultrascale won't go along with anything chemical other than an etching marker pen. That's what I use and I get it from JL Industrial -

http://www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk

They're not cheap - £20 plus - but work well on stainless steel as well as solder, mazak and whitemetal. A permanent marker is very good also as Tim says.

Philip

Philbax

Postby Philbax » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:38 am

Doyou have a code for that, there is a lot of stuff on the J&L site
Thanks
Philbax

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:22 pm

LNR-52005D I have used these in the past and the results are excellent. The only complaint is that the tip will probably wear out before you empty the pen of its fluid.

Mike

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:47 am

Philip Hall wrote:Chemical blackener won't usually affect wheel rims (so long as you're very sparing with the fluid and properly wash it off promptly) but, owing to people being stupid with the use of chemicals in the past, Ultrascale won't go along with anything chemical other than an etching marker pen. That's what I use and I get it from JL Industrial -

http://www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk

They're not cheap - £20 plus - but work well on stainless steel as well as solder, mazak and whitemetal. A permanent marker is very good also as Tim says.

Much closer to home, Eileen's sells a "Birchwood Casey Super Black Instant Touch-up Pen".

This seems to do the job very well, and costs about half the price. I'm sure that the full details are on the website. Recommended to me by someone at Scaleforum - Rod Cameron I think - as it was being used to quickly colour back the checkrails on Matford after track cleaning.

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:08 pm

I've used the Birchwood Casey touch up pen as well, and it's very good. As it's a matt black paint rather than a chemical it's just the job for Ultrascale wheels, although I do prefer the etch pen to give a coloured base in case the paint chips off. Also the etch pen is best - as it blackens solder - for things such as screw couplings where paint can get in the way of free movement.

Philip

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:31 pm

Yep, I'd agree with that. I have both on the bench and they give a different finish to each other. For loco wheels I shall use the etch pen and coach wheels the Birchwood casey.
I have found that leaving the BC fluid on to dry for a couple of minutes and then going back over the surface gives a darker finish. The etch pen goes matt black almost immediately.

Mike

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”