compound chassis suspension.

simonmoore

compound chassis suspension.

Postby simonmoore » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:36 pm

One of the loco's waiting construction on my workbench is a Comet Compound chassis with a Hornby body. I have been trying to work out a way of making the chassis sprung or compensated but due to the small wheelbase it is baffling me a little as to what options i have to make it work correctly. Has anyone made a compound chassis & which way did you go about compensating the chassis, also what position did you fit the motor? I was thinking that maybe doing a motor in tender with driveshaft to the engine might work but still unsure what is the best way of making it work well?

Simon.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: compound chassis suspension.

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:34 pm

Not sure what you mean by small wheelbase? Its on the big side for 4-4-0s. Bill Bedford does the 2P and the same principles will work, suggest downloading his instructions to use for inspiration.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

simonmoore

Postby simonmoore » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:46 pm

Thanks Keith i'll have look.

Simon.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:39 pm

I have two suggestions for compensation, depending on how much work you want to do!

1. Fixed rear axle for motor and gearbox, front driving axle compensated on simple beam Front bogie compensated on rear axle, just with a slot in the sideframes and again a simple wire beam. Bogie pivot pin lightly sprung, bogie support slotted to allow sideplay. Tender built to bear weight on loco rear.

2. Both driving axles compensated with twin beams and a central pivot. Bogie compensated as above supported firmly on the centre pin, slotted again. Tender again to bear weight on loco rear.

Of the two, I think I prefer option 2 but either work very well. In both cases, I find that the slight resistance offered by the bogie resting on the spacer or by the spring gives a degree of side control.

I'm never sprung an engine (yet) and there are others on this forum far more qualified than I to advise you there. Or on this, come to that...

Philip

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Why not try the GA sprung units, half way down this thread;

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1038

Got to be easier than adjusting for loads off the back of the tender...just a thought.

Mike

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”