Gibson LMS Compound

Julian Roberts

Re: Gibson LMS Compound

Postby Julian Roberts » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:10 am

HI Gareth - The middle and front wheels are sprung down to the rails :) - I took several photos before painting and even on these I didn't notice the misalignment!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:35 am

The West Scotland 4mm Group will be exhibiting the new and almost finished layout Garlieston at the Paisley Model Railway show in two weeks time. https://www.renfrewshiremrc.co.uk/paisleyshow.html We'll have a slightly liberal loco policy that will see somewhat larger ones than likely ever appeared there - the line was built almost as a tramway.

So Kyle layout building has been temporarily suspended, the Compound has at last been put together again, coaled up and got running. Yesterday it made a first brief test appearance at a show, at Falkirk, thanks to Ray Nolton and his "United Mills". Weathering remains to be done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:08 am

Some excruciatingly slow moving non-drama Compound action at my nascent layout, Kyle loco depot. With a simple DC controller. The aim was to see if there were any dead spots, 8 wheel pick up gave a satisfyingly zero answer. A brief burst of full throttle at the end.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:46 pm

Very nice indeed!

Mike

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:20 am

Very impressive. I've bought a Compound recently in late MR or early LMS condition with P4 wheels but a large open frame 3 pole motor, and what looks like Romford gears. No compensation on the loco. The connecting rod hits the slide bar but otherwise it's well built, possibly a Gibson kit. It was sold as a non runner as the gears didn't mesh. If I can get it running as well as yours I'll be happy.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:27 am

Having made a decision years ago that class 4's were too large and modern for my Midland/early LMS layout, I seem to have built/acquired 3 4F's, 3 Compounds and 3 4P tanks. OK, one of each class might stay 00.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:02 am

Thanks for the kind comments Hardwicke, and Mike previously. :)

Yes I'd forgotten that trouble of the con rod and slide bar. At the top and bottom of the driving wheel stroke the con rod hit the rear inside edges of the slide bars. I just filed them at this area. The footstep hides some detail here or deflects the eye. The piston stroke was actually quite large, 26" IIRC. My model originally had smaller stroke wheels. When I changed them after they became loose I didn't have any additional problem with the slide bar fouling, so I must have filed away plenty already.

More of a problem is the rear bogie wheel potentially fouling the back of the crosshead on sharp curves. Somehow I have solved or got away with that on 4ft curves and now I can't remember how. Typical of the problems of unprototypical curve expectations. I don't know how much bogie movement the real thing had, despite possessing the Wild Swan book, as I don't know how to interpret the drawings.

I suggest if your model has no suspension forget it as a working loco in P4, just enjoy looking at it! You could plonk it on a siding outside the loco shed in full view if your layout has one.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:51 am

Julian Roberts wrote:Yes I'd forgotten that trouble of the con rod and slide bar. At the top and bottom of the driving wheel stroke the con rod hit the rear inside edges of the slide bars. I just filed them at this area. The footstep hides some detail here or deflects the eye...
You could plonk it on a siding outside the loco shed in full view if your layout has one.

I've already filed a bit away, but needs a bit more. I judged I could halve the thickness without any problems and as you said the footstep hides it.
Engine shed? I'd need to model something like Millhouses or Westhouses !
Once I get some new grub screws and seat the motor correctly I'll see how it runs.
Michael.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:13 pm

Julian Roberts wrote:Thanks for the kind comments Hardwicke, and Mike previously. :)

Yes I'd forgotten that trouble of the con rod and slide bar. At the top and bottom of the driving wheel stroke the con rod hit the rear inside edges of the slide bars.

I've taken your advice and the wheels go round now.
I did blow the swarf away after the photo was taken.
IMG20230721170506.jpg

IMG20230721170551.jpg

IMG20230721170652.jpg

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:27 pm

Great stuff Michael. If you had any remaining problems I wonder if you could reduce the length of the slidebars quite legitimately. I attach a shot from earlier in the thread of the prototype. I think I illegitimately shortened mine as far as I dared the crosshead not to drop out.

Screenshot_20230721_191336_Chrome.jpg

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:13 pm

Julian Roberts wrote:Great stuff Michael. If you had any remaining problems I wonder if you could reduce the length of the slidebars quite legitimately. I attach a shot from earlier in the thread of the prototype. I think I illegitimately shortened mine as far as I dared the crosshead not to drop out.

Screenshot_20230721_191336_Chrome.jpg

I thought of that too. The builder has not squared the ends off, hardly noticeable until the rod hits it ! Yes, I took a sliver off the end. Thanks for the prototype photos. I was considering a trip to Barrow Hill if it's still there.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:22 pm

New grub screws purchased at RailWells.
IMG20230822201847.jpg

IMG20230822201839.jpg

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:18 pm

I found the fault wasn't the slide bars but the builder of the loco hadn't allowed space for the grub screw in the PCB pick up baseplate. Taletale marks proved this. I drilled exploratory holes and opened them out with a file and it worked.
IMG20230822233634.jpg

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:00 am

My Compound got the undercoat finished and first topcoat sprayed last week...
There was a failed test run,... failed because I'd forgotten there were no wires to the motor :shock:
It did run through the test track by pushing and no wheels fell off..
IMG20240131173404.jpg

IMG20240202003320.jpg

IMG20240202003240.jpg

IMG20240204141400.jpg

Return to “Chassis and Suspensions”