Pin Vice recommendation

John Bateson

Pin Vice recommendation

Postby John Bateson » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:07 am

My set of pin vises has worn to the extent that the smaller ones will no longer hold anything smaller than 0.5 mm.

Any recommendations please. I don't want necessarily cheap, but a set that would last me out and down to 0.25 mm would be a good investment.

John :?:
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

garethevans1986

Re: Pin Vice recommendation

Postby garethevans1986 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:18 am

Ive found the ones labelled "English pin vice" tend to be the better ones of the two types I've found.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133992087154
Gareth O. Evans
IT Consultant/Director of Web46 IT Solutions
Croes Newydd Yard

Diesel Crank

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:52 am

I too became fed up with this business. My ancient Eclipse would grip down to sub-0.3 even after 40 years use but then a drill dropped down the wrong hole and I broke the collet, which proves it was hard. Replacements, even Eclipse, have only gripped for a few months, some weeks. In the end, following a similar exchange on here, I coughed up for a super Swiss job - a Bergeon - from Cousins. It's a pleasure to own and it still grips down to zero, just like it says on the tin. Only surprise was that it isn't hollow so you have a lot of drill sticking out.

Similarly, on my machine tools I have a couple of chucks that go down to zero and I've bought something decent that has lasted and not become a pain to use. Some areas require precision and that usually costs.

DaveB

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:23 pm

4-5 years ago I needed a second set to augment my ancient Eclipses.

I found there was a lot of rubbish around but the ones from Cromwell tools were and still are OK.

Many branches and mail order. Some stuff 10% off this January

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:54 pm

I bought a Bergeon 30432 two years ago from Cousins for £14.95 + postage, and it still grips. I only use it down to 0.3, but expect it would go further. The bit also goes in as far as you like - not like Dave's.

FCA

Postby FCA » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:37 pm

A couple of years ago I invested in a set of Starrett pin vices (Set S162)in replacement of my 40+ year old Eclipses. And very good they are.
I was going to recommend them but see that they've gone the same way as Eclipse; no longer available.

Richard

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:53 pm

Looks like your Bergeon was a better choice, David and almost half the price. Probably the safest bet. I'm still suspicious of the non-branded stuff and the cheapie branded ones too. Alternative is to buy drills with a larger shank of course!

DaveB

Winander

Postby Winander » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:59 pm

Daddyman wrote:I bought a Bergeon 30432 two years ago from Cousins for £14.95 + postage, and it still grips. I only use it down to 0.3, but expect it would go further. The bit also goes in as far as you like - not like Dave's.

Very unlikely to find that with a search as they are referred to as 'Pin Tongs' although they are in the same category as pin vices.

An amusing contrast of two similar-looking items
Pin Tongs (Sliding Grip), Bergeon £15.55 +VAT
Pin Tongs (Sliding Grip), India £2.95 +VAT

Ron
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:14 pm

Winander wrote:
Daddyman wrote:I bought a Bergeon 30432 two years ago from Cousins for £14.95 + postage, and it still grips. I only use it down to 0.3, but expect it would go further. The bit also goes in as far as you like - not like Dave's.

Very unlikely to find that with a search as they are referred to as 'Pin Tongs' although they are in the same category as pin vices.

An amusing contrast of two similar-looking items
Pin Tongs (Sliding Grip), Bergeon £15.55 +VAT
Pin Tongs (Sliding Grip), India £2.95 +VAT

Ron

I googled "Bergeon 30432" and this is the first result:
https://www.hswalsh.com/product/pin-vic ... 32-hp30432

garethashenden

Postby garethashenden » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:03 pm

FCA wrote:A couple of years ago I invested in a set of Starrett pin vices (Set S162)in replacement of my 40+ year old Eclipses. And very good they are.
I was going to recommend them but see that they've gone the same way as Eclipse; no longer available.

Richard

The Starrett S162 set has been replaced by S162Z. I have no idea what the difference is as they look identical and are still made in the USA. https://www.starrett.com/metrology/prod ... ail//S162Z

I love my Starrett pin vices, but I am a little biased as they're just up the road from me.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:26 pm

I saw some Eclipse ones today at a tractor show! Well that was a surprise!
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

David B

Postby David B » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:29 pm

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:31 am

Some years back I bought a small archimedean pin chuck from Eileens which i found a lot easier and more comfortable to use than the traditional pin type and this served very well for the very small sizes - less than 0.5mm. It has now worn so it won't hold anything less than 0.5 so i shall need to get a replacment. Squires do a good range including the archimedean type but no idea of quality. I tend to keep one chuck just for the very small sizes which means it will last longer.

Terry Bendall

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:05 pm

I was at the Southampton show today and noticed some Eclipse pin vices on the Squires stand, along with the other various ones they usually sell.

Philip

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:13 pm

The point is, though, that the modern Eclipse offering is crap, or was a year ago! Same for all the other cheapies.

DaveB

Porcy Mane

Postby Porcy Mane » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:46 am

davebradwell wrote:The point is, though, that the modern Eclipse offering is crap, or was a year ago! Same for all the other cheapies.

DaveB

Too true although I found a cheapie that works.

My experience with the eclipse 121 is similar to yours. The internal coning of the chucking ring wore away suddenly. I guess once the case hardening had given up the ghost. I acquired it in 1972 and it had received some abuse down the years so no complaints about quality & longevity.

Duly ordered replacement, a genuine eclipse 121 as part of a set, sight unseen and was sorely disappointed when they arrived.

I found new style 121 pin vice was just too numb to use successfully with 0.3, 0.4 & 0.5 mm drills. 0.2 was a definite no, no.

I now use the chuck in the centre of the photo. Can't remember where I bought it from. I suspect Chinese manufacture. It comes with 3 collets and grips down to 0.2 and surprisingly holds drill bits true. The small diameter shank allows comparative high speed twiddling.

Original 121 is third from right and current eclipse 121 is fourth. The nearest in size to the original is fifth from right. It might be OK as wagon weights. As a pin vice it is useless as it doesn't hold bits centrally.

PinVice~Chuck-004-© PwD-EditIIsm.jpg

P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:14 pm

After struggling with the decision to spend money I am going for the Bergeon 30432 at £15.55
I will post success or otherwise here at some time later.

Thanks for all the inputs.
John

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:09 pm

This one goes right down to the smallest drill bit and the rotating pad on the end stops you wearing a hole in your hand. Sadly, I cant remember where I got it but it was probably Eileens. It was a while before I discovered that the collet was reversible and I had only been using the bigger end until recently!

Pin vice.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BryanJohnson

Postby BryanJohnson » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:02 pm

John Darch wrote
It was a while before I discovered that the collet was reversible and I had only been using the bigger end until recently!

I have a similar one and you may find that if you unscrew the top off the opposite end there's a second reversible collet stored there! If so, then 4 for the price of 1 has to be a bargain.

Bryan

David B

Postby David B » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:33 pm

Talking to a neighbour today, he suggested Starrett pin vices. They are quality tools.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=Starrett+pin+vice&_sacat=0

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:51 pm

John and Bryan - I have one of these useful pin vices but can assure you it won't be long before a 0.35 drill will push straight through, just like most of the others.

Can't see how anyone can even think of comparing Starrett to Bergeon regarding quality. Starrett has always been and presumably will be bog standard stuff that has its uses.

DaveB

Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:33 pm

Hi John,

John Bateson wrote:After struggling with the decision to spend money I am going for the Bergeon 30432 at £15.55
I will post success or otherwise here at some time later.

That is exactly the same conclusion I have drawn and a couple of Bergeon 30432 are now getting acclimatised to my modelling bench.

Cheers,

Richard

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:48 am

My new shiny Bergeon Pin Vise has arrived and is a rather nice piece of toolery. It holds a 0.3 drill bit nice and tight and seems to go down almost zero. The drill slot for the slider is about 35mm long so no issue in that area.
Now I need to triage my box of vices/vises.
John

Return to “Other Workshop Practice”