best insulation material in loco?

jon price

best insulation material in loco?

Postby jon price » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:20 pm

I'm forced to put a DCC chip next to a tiny Mashima motor because of the small size of a loco. Any suggestions for an effective insulating material that will be no more than a millimeter or so thick to separate them and keep the chip as cool as possible?
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

DavidM

Re: best insulation material in loco?

Postby DavidM » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:39 pm

Polyimide film, such as Kapton tape, is widely used for both insulation and thermal protection in PCB production, especially in the aerospace industry. It was even used to plug a hole in the International Space Station! It is available in various widths and although a lot more expensive than PVC insulation tape, it is considerably thinner and a better thermal insulator.
I got mine from a local supplier in Sydney, I’m sure it’s widely available in the UK.

https://www.altronics.com.au/search/all ... ide%2Btape

David Murrell

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:56 pm

jon price wrote:I'm forced to put a DCC chip next to a tiny Mashima motor because of the small size of a loco. Any suggestions for an effective insulating material that will be no more than a millimeter or so thick to separate them and keep the chip as cool as possible?

I use Tamiya masking tape. If there is space, it is tape plus a paper sleeve.
I have locos which are likely to be smaller than you are describing insulated this way: 2mm scale stuff.
My "big" locos are small 0-4-0's in 4mm standard gauge, Mashima motors and the same approach to insulation.

If the chip gets warm, then there is something wrong with your loco or the motor.

- Nigel

David B

Postby David B » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:05 pm

The small self-adhesive foam pads for fixing things can be used. These may be too thick (often about 2mm) as they are but cut a piece to size then trim off the second adhesive surface to get the right thickness.

An example here on Amazon.

jon price

Postby jon price » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:02 am

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. And a happy new modelling year to you.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Return to “Other Workshop Practice”