mouldable support jig for soldering tiny assemblages?

jon price

mouldable support jig for soldering tiny assemblages?

Postby jon price » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:22 am

Anyone know of a mouldable, heat resistant material that could be used to support tiny assemblages in a self making jig? I'm thinking of things like injector assemblies. The one I'm looking at needs a minimum of seven components but could be soldered up in one or two goes if suitably supported. The bits are too small to support with the usual blocks and clips. Blu-tack is clearly no use, and Sugru is only stable up to 180C. To get in and out fast I'm using my iron at about 375C which works succesfully for most tasks.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: mouldable support jig for soldering tiny assemblages?

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:16 pm

jon price wrote:Anyone know of a mouldable, heat resistant material that could be used to support tiny assemblages in a self making jig? I'm thinking of things like injector assemblies. The one I'm looking at needs a minimum of seven components but could be soldered up in one or two goes if suitably supported. The bits are too small to support with the usual blocks and clips. Blu-tack is clearly no use, and Sugru is only stable up to 180C. To get in and out fast I'm using my iron at about 375C which works succesfully for most tasks.

It's not mouldable, but I've mentioned before the heatproof soldering mat I use.

Solder mat 1.JPG

It takes pins to hold components together, and it's soft enough you could either poke components themselves into the surface or dig out suitable holes to set them into.

HTH
Flymo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

jon price

Postby jon price » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:19 pm

Yep. I got one of those after you recommended it to me at Missenden, but for complex, tiny 3D shapes it doesn't help all that much, especially if you want to avoid releasing the microfibres by diging holes in it!

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:45 pm

jon price wrote:Yep. I got one of those after you recommended it to me at Missenden, but for complex, tiny 3D shapes it doesn't help all that much, especially if you want to avoid releasing the microfibres by diging holes in it!

Ah. Plan B then. There's nothing like being set a challenge late at night and after a couple of glasses of decent red.

What about Das then?

IMG_2757.JPG

Mouldable, and according to impromptu tests with my soldering iron cranked up to 425, impervious to heat.

If you can't arrange things with it soft out of the packet, position them in the correct orientations and leave it to set. You may then even have a "holding block" which can be repeatedly reused after it has air-dryed.

Cheers
Flymo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

jon price

Postby jon price » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:33 am

Brilliant. I have it lying around and hadn't thought of it. Thanks, I will give it a try and report back.

Le Corbusier

Postby Le Corbusier » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:44 am

Mouldable, and according to impromptu tests with my soldering iron cranked up to 425, impervious to heat.

If you can't arrange things with it soft out of the packet, position them in the correct orientations and leave it to set. You may then even have a "holding block" which can be repeatedly reused after it has air-dryed.

Brilliant tip Paul.

Thanks

Tim
Tim Lee

Return to “Other Workshop Practice”