Repairing torn book pages

jayell

Repairing torn book pages

Postby jayell » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:08 am

From time to time you will no doubt buy a modelling related book that has torn pages. DO NOT be tempted to repair these tears with cellotape or anything similar. I recently bought a copy of the 1956 edition of "Machinery's Handbook" which had clearly had a been used/abused a lot. Use of cellotape to repair tears had actully caused more damage over the years than leaving the teards alone would have done, the adhesive has actully turned the paper brittle.

If you need to repair any document or book please get the proper repair tape. I have used 'Filmoplast P' from Vintage Paper Co to try to repair the damage done to my copy of Machinery's Handbook. I also got a bone folder to smooth the tape into the seams and get good adhesion with no bubbles.

5 meters of 1/2" wide tape cost me £3.75 and the bone folder £3.99 which added to the original £17.00 cost of the book still makes it a reasonable purchase price. Although I was a bit disappointed to find there was very little data on metric threads in that edition. :(

John

Tim V

Re: Repairing torn book pages

Postby Tim V » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:09 pm

Wasn't that the 1957 edition had the metric threads :D
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

jayell

Postby jayell » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:37 pm

Tim V wrote:Wasn't that the 1957 edition had the metric threads :D

Now he tells me :(

Actually I bought the cheapest copy I could find from the 50's era as I'd read this was probably the best period for the 'Machinist's Bible'

John

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:54 pm

My 1954 edition seems to include a reasonable amount of data on metric threads. <smug> Best of all, a friend gave it to me as a present. </smug>

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:33 am

Going back a bit earlier I have a 1937 edition of Machinery's Handbook which I inherited from my father and it was second hand when he got it. Still in very good condition. It has some usful information on metric threads but what is there is probably more relevant to those who want to cut threads on a lathe. Information on tapping and clearance drill sizes is not included. There are of course other sources of this sort of information which are more relevant to what most of us would need and I found a useful list at http://www.trfastenings.com/pages/Tappi ... ance+Holes

Terry Bendall

jayell

Postby jayell » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:21 am

Thanks for that link Terry, always useful to have tables of that sort available, in particular it covers the smaller metric sizes (sub-2mm) which are the sizes of most likely to be of interest to 4mm scale modellers

John

Return to “Other Workshop Practice”