Solder Paste

allanferguson

Solder Paste

Postby allanferguson » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:41 pm

Some time ago I bought a wee jar of solder paste (not solder paint). I find it very useful and there's lots left. But it's getting very stiff; can anyone suggest what I should use to dilute / soften it. The label is mostly in Chinese and doesn't help. The stuff smells, if anything, of linseed oil, but very faintly.

Allan F

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Solder Paste

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:27 pm

allanferguson wrote:Some time ago I bought a wee jar of solder paste (not solder paint). I find it very useful and there's lots left. But it's getting very stiff; can anyone suggest what I should use to dilute / soften it. The label is mostly in Chinese and doesn't help. The stuff smells, if anything, of linseed oil, but very faintly.

Allan F

When I had the same problem with some Carrs 188 Solder Paint/Paste I asked Brian Lewis about it.

His response was to just add a few drops of compatible flux, and that did indeed do the trick. The warning was to not let it dry out totally, as it would be impossible to rejuvenate from that state.

HTH
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

allanferguson

Re: Solder Paste

Postby allanferguson » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Thanks, Paul. I recall that interchange with Brian Lewis, and my recollection was that it referred to solder paint (Carr's). and the advice was to use Carr's Green Flux. I spent ages trying to get a hold of some green label flux! However I've tried some green label flux with the paste and it seems OK. I haven't used solder paint since I acquired the paste. Thanks

Allan F

Return to “Other Workshop Practice”