Brass Etched Components

jayell

Re: Brass Etched Components

Postby jayell » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:15 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote: How do you know? So far as I can see it just says "metal" which may or may not be aluminium.
Keith

the description, which I only read after I ordered them, was 'nickel plated metal'

I did look in our local Boots, Superdrug and in Tesco, all three places have lost of hairdressing stuff but nothing like these clips.

cheers
john

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:18 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:
they are not aluminium so might not be ideal for soldering.
How do you know? So far as I can see it just says "metal" which may or may not be aluminium.

I checked the Amazon listings. There are quite a few sources and many give then as nickel coated steel. Couldn't find any that were definitely aluminium, and those that just said "metal" look just like the nickel steel. That is too shiny for aluminium even though at first sight they do look just like my aluminium ones. It's not just their immunity to solder that well miss, I can't see that steel ones would be as malleable as the Ali ones either. I usually find I bend them to the shape needed to grip what ever it is each time I use them. If the Ali ones have really disappeared from the shops, it will be a great shame, and If anybody can find a source of Ali clips they may be able to make a killing!

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:44 pm

Tim V wrote:I use a piece of Tufnol.

Plus one on Tufnol.

I use a six inch square of it for cutting, soldering, and whatever... I wouldn't be without it, and can't recommend it highly enough. It's my portable workbench for Missenden, and a permanent fixture on the desk at home.

I think that mine came the trusty Derek and his touring market stall ;-)

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:35 am

johnlewis wrote:
grovenor-2685 wrote: How do you know? So far as I can see it just says "metal" which may or may not be aluminium.
Keith

the description, which I only read after I ordered them, was 'nickel plated metal'

I did look in our local Boots, Superdrug and in Tesco, all three places have lost of hairdressing stuff but nothing like these clips.

cheers
john

John,

London Road Models used to sell the aluminium ones.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:37 am

They still do.

jayell

Postby jayell » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:54 am

Jol Wilkinson wrote:They still do.

not obvious what type they are but among 'Soldering Materials & Tools' they list:-

Aluminium Soldering Clamps (five) £1.20

perhaps they are pictured in their catalogue

so if my nickel plated ones turn out to be rubbish I'll know where to go, but for now have already spent too much in the current 'credit month' :thumb

john lewis

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:14 am

I looked in to ally clamps last year. After various trips to hair coiffeurs and my daughter's dressing table (neither pleasant experiences) LRM were the only suppliers I could find.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Return to “Other Workshop Practice”