Machining nickel silver for main frames

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Machining nickel silver for main frames

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:27 pm

I am trying to profile mill some loco main frames using 0.018 inch half hard sheet and a new 6 mm dia cutter. The speed is fairly fast and a fairly slow feed. This seems to raise a large burr that peels back as I advance the cutter to the line. Has any one any idea how to avoid the problem or can direct me to a source of information that may help.

Thanks very much

Terry Bendall

John Bateson

Re: Machining nickel silver for main frames

Postby John Bateson » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:37 pm

Terry,
In your post you say "some mainframes". Not to distract you from your machine tools but if there are several sets then have you considered chemical milling or etching. I think you can now get an A4 sized page for around £100 - and of course you can sell on any extras. Am doing something similar for a project I am working on.
MRJ 190 is very helpful in this respect.
John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:36 pm

We had a natter about this at CLAG - the feeling was that the effect you describe was a characteristic of milling/machining nickel-silver. Using a smaller diameter cutter might alleviate the situation a little, but we reckoned you will just have to put up with cleaning off the inevitable burring, and that of course will probably ruin any axlecentre accuracy strategy based on relying on the cutter alone. How much chatter are you getting?

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun May 10, 2009 4:12 pm

Thanks for your response Russ and apologies for not responding earlier. Having tried today with a smaller cutter and slower speed the finish was better but not perfect. There was some chatter on the first attempt which was cured to some extend by using double sided tape under the metal as well as the clamping screws. I think that you are right in saying that the process may not be viable for absolute accuracy.

Terry

Countryman

Postby Countryman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:24 pm

Sorry, only just got round to seeing this one! Terry and I have discussed this off-line but others may be interested in my findings. The successful milling of Nickel-Silver depends upon good clamping of the material, cutter size, feed speed and run-out of the milling spindle. I did a test cut on a sheet of 0.022” half hard NS using a 1/16” 2 flute end mill. It cut very well and I can discern no burr whatsoever. I have attached pictures of the result. Spindle speed was about 2800 rpm. If you need to use a larger diameter cutter I would suggest that a solid carbide end mill will give the best results.

Cheers,

Brian
NS1.JPG
NS2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other Workshop Practice”