Piercing Saw Blades

John Bateson

Piercing Saw Blades

Postby John Bateson » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:57 am

I am a prolific user of piercing saw blades in my endeavours at producing some locomotive kits. So, searching for a new set I came across the following at Amazon - £11.22 total - which includes free P&P.

MKCLOCKS Size 4/0 Piercing Saw Blades Quantity 144

MKCLOCKS Size 6 Piercing Saw Blades Quantity 144

MKCLOCKS Size 2 Piercing Saw Blades Quantity 144

The one review on the site suggests they were not very good, but I have just used a 4/0 to cut a 3/8" bar, and it gave a better cut than the ones I bought a few months ago at a very much greater cost. Caveat Emptor and all that.

The new stock should last quite a while...

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Lindsay G

Re: Piercing Saw Blades

Postby Lindsay G » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:27 am

Whilst considering where to place another post, I came across this thread, maybe well past it's sell-by now. However......never overlook Ebay when looking for anything. Try this :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jewellers-Saw ... 45f04ec559

Having said that, never jump in at Ebay without checking out elsewhere on WWW or checking the sellers background.

Lindsay

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:28 am

John Bateson wrote:I have just used a 4/0 to cut a 3/8" bar, .... The new stock should last quite a while...

Perhaps not if you are going to use them to cut that size John. :) I am sure that there was a good reason but for that size of material I would use a standard hacksaw for preference or at least a junior hacksaw.

Terry Bendall

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:47 am

Terry,
My post was so long ago that I have forgotten what exactly I was doing, although the Lady Downstairs would insist that this would be normal behaviour!
I was probably trying to highlight the difference between 'hobby' prices from 'hobby' shops and the possibilities if we all look a little bit wider on th'interweb - as Lindsay has pointed out as well in his post.

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

decauville1126

Postby decauville1126 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:29 am

I've bought large amounts from MK Clocks and all have been Anchor brand. The odd one does strange things but the price is incredibly more attractive than buying from the usual 'hobby trade' suppliers.

I've cut 0.5" silver steel without problems but do find that copperclad paxolin kills blades rapidly - why I don't know.

Postby 45609 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:25 pm

decauville1126 wrote:find that copperclad paxolin kills blades rapidly - why I don't know.

That will be the glass fibre filler content in the middle layer. It will wear out any cutting tool at a terrific speed.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:12 am

mlgilbert30 wrote:That will be the glass fibre filler content in the middle layer. It will wear out any cutting tool at a terrific speed.

It will indeed. If I want to cut this material I use a standard hacksaw fitted with a high speed steel blade and try not to use a brand new blade.

Terry Bendall

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:40 pm

I've still got most of the saw blades I bought over ten years ago. They were from Shesto's.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Return to “Other Workshop Practice”