Avonside Chassis Pro vs Hobby holidays Master Chassis.

simonmoore

Avonside Chassis Pro vs Hobby holidays Master Chassis.

Postby simonmoore » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:31 am

I've been looking into buying one of these 2 chassis jig's & with about £10 between the 2 i wanted to know which is the best option . Looking at the 2 the Avonside look's a bit more complex than the hobby holiday version, can anyone give me any info on which type is better ?

Simon.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Avonside Chassis Pro vs Hobby holidays Master Chassis.

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:24 pm

Perhaps this will help?
http://steamlinesheffield.wordpress.com/41c-recommends/
Of course its not a comparison, but I never saw JB get so enthusiastic about the other one.
Regards
Keith
PS I haven't tried either.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

DavidM

Postby DavidM » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:32 pm

Simon,

I bought a Master Chassis jig about four years ago and found it helpful. I later modified it to provide support for the chassis during construction as there is nothing to maintain horizontal alignment while soldering in hornguides. This helps, but I subsequently obtained an Avonside jig as I prefer this method of construction - the bearing units are attached to frames first then the frames are assembled with spacers using dummy axles to maintain alignment. Of the two, I find the Avonside the more useful and would strongly recommend it - it's very well designed and certainly easy to use.

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simonmoore

Postby simonmoore » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:21 pm

Thank you for the replys although i have used neither from looking at the 2 the avonside does look the better build with a a more sensible way of building.

Simon.

John F Brighton

Postby John F Brighton » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:23 pm

Simon
My very best advice to you is to go to Leatherhead where, I believe, both units will be for sale. Here at Steamline we use both and different builders have different preferences. Both do what they say on the tin. You need to see them, feel them, try them and then buy the one that your gut feeling tells you is right for you. Whichever, it will enable you to get chassis right. They can be bent out of shape and get it wrong but so long as you go slowly and ensure rods and bearing are an easy slip on the various pins then they will work. No one can make up your mind, you have to do that yourself.
John F B

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi Simon
I have both jigs, and the Avondale is far easier to use. But both jigs do what they advertise. The Avondale does a far more complete job, if that's the right way to phrase it. But as JB says, you need to try them to see which one suits you. My preference is the Avondale...

regards

Mike

simonmoore

Postby simonmoore » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:43 pm

I'm going on the hobby holiday & i am going to try out the master chassis but the master chassis looks more primitive & basic. Hopefully i will give it a whirl & see if it is right for me. I've been watching the Avonside videos on youtube & it seems to be set up a little better.

Simon.

Jim Summers

Postby Jim Summers » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:34 pm

Simon,

I've only used the Hobby Holidays one, but find it robust and indispensable. Incidentally, I often turn it on its edge, which is very convenient.

Apart from setting up the frames, the great thing to me is the Rolling Road attachment. I don't see anyone else mentioning that aspect so far, but don't underestimate it. You can even use it to establish which set of wheels is not picking up properly.

Jim

Return to “Other Workshop Practice”