Midland Railway transfers

Geoffrygee

Midland Railway transfers

Postby Geoffrygee » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:20 pm

Hello,
Can anybody help with a supplier of transfers for a Midland Railway Crest and large MR letters. I have looked at Fox and model masters sites who do not do these. A email to the people at Midland Centre at Belper has not got a reply. Also what make of Midland red crimson paint and undercoat would anybody recommend. The loco is scratch built in brass and I like to spray oil based paints.
Kind regards
Alan Gee

David B

Re: Midland Railway transfers

Postby David B » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:48 pm

Are these any good? https://hmrs.org.uk/mr-sdjr-ltsr-m-gn-loco-and-coach-insignia.html

I know they say 'out of stock' but other places sell them. Wizard Models are also 'out of stock' so it will mean some hunting around.

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:04 pm

Geoffrygee wrote:Hello,
Can anybody help with a supplier of transfers for a Midland Railway Crest and large MR letters. I have looked at Fox and model masters sites who do not do these. A email to the people at Midland Centre at Belper has not got a reply. Also what make of Midland red crimson paint and undercoat would anybody recommend. The loco is scratch built in brass and I like to spray oil based paints.
Kind regards
Alan Gee

Colour: Precision Paints' Midland Red over a coat of Red Oxide

regards

Alan

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:30 pm

The colour of crimson lake is something that has troubled me for a long time. Not helped by it being a colour that is definitely affected by the colour of the light that it is illuminated in, how much of you are looking at (ie on a 4mm model you see less of it and I think it gives a different impression as a result) and also the undercoat.

Firstly, in the latter regard, definitely use red oxide as an undercoat; it does give it a lot more depth and more redness than other colours of undercoat.

Secondly, I have found that the Pheonix Precision is too purple for my tastes. I have settled on the Crimson Lake from Craftmaster Paints https://www.craftmasterpaints.co.uk/col ... y-colours/ I find that this is a sharper red with more to it than Pheonix's paints and accords more with what I see in preservation liveries. As they are the main suppliers of paint to the preservation industry, this is not really a surprise and their paint is very good quality. It is an enamel, has good opacity and sprays well. The only issue is as they sell to the 12" to the foot brigade, you have to buy a fair amount of it but you will only need to make the purchase once in your life!

See also this topic viewtopic.php?t=3603 which suggests Leyland Damask Red from a rattle can and I have seen Ford Burgandy Red as a suggestion too; I am sticking with Craftmaster having so much of it!
Mark Tatlow

Geoffrygee

Postby Geoffrygee » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:06 am

Just a note to thank everybody for their postings on this.
Alan Gee

Return to “Painting and Weathering”