Stripping models that were painted with etching primer

Michael Waldron

Stripping models that were painted with etching primer

Postby Michael Waldron » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:08 am

In the past, I built some Roxey and Branchlines LBSCR carriage kits in what I find now is the wrong livery.
They were initially sprayed with the original (not Phoenix) Bob Shepherd Precision Paints one coat clear etch primer spray.

Ian Rathbone, on the Wightlines DVD on painting and lining states, after spraying a tender with 2 part present day etch primer, “If you wanted to strip that off, you’d have difficulty.”

Can anyone verify that, or, hopefully, deny that from personal experience? Or suggest a way round it?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but I can never find the “Post a new Topic”…. I only found it here. <Now moved - Forum Team>

Mike

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Stripping models that were painted with etching primer

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:08 am

Michael Waldron wrote:Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but I can never find the “Post a new Topic”…. I only found it here.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm afraid that I have never tried stripping etch primer. However, as one of the Forum Team I can move your topic to a better place, where more people will find it.

To guide you, and others who may be new to the Forum, in starting a new conversation, this is how to do it.

Start by going to the Forum Index. This is at the top left corner of a page. It's also at the foot of each Forum page:

Forum Index.png

If you scroll down the Forum Index, you'll find a wide range of topics, including "Painting and Weathering" within "Tools and Techniques".

Forum Tools &amp; Techniques.png

Clicking on this (or any other section) will give you the opportunity to start a New Topic there :-)

Forum New Topic.png

I wish you all the best in finding the answer to your question!

Cheers
Paul Willis
Forum Team
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

petermeyer

Postby petermeyer » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:14 am

Would it not be possible to strip the top coats and just leave the etch primer inplace as a last resort. I have stripped paint with Dettol solution but others use cellulose thinner.

LenPinder

Postby LenPinder » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:02 am

If the model is all metal soldered then try soaking for 5 to 10 minutes in acetone then brushing acetone over the paint with an half inch wide, stiff, pure bristle paint brush. I've done this recently and, with a little patience, it works a treat, taking the model back to bare metal. Some action in acetone in an ultrasonic cleaner also helps. This operation is best done in a very well ventilated area, preferably outside. If anything is plastic or adhesive, I have no solution but certainly DO NOT use acetone.

Len

ColinMcC

Postby ColinMcC » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:50 am

I remember chatting with Bob Shepherd when he introduced the SuperStrip for stripping RTR models. I asked it what was best for his own paints and he suggested Mr. Muscle Oven Cleaner. Basically, cover the model with oodles of the foam, put into a freezer bag in the airing cupboard. It's not a quick process and may need repeating. It has worked for me.

If the etch primer coating is good then why remove it? Some localised rubbing down may be all that is necessary to remove blemishes.

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:19 pm

Cellulose thinners will have etching primer off (and everything else) in 5 minutes. Wash the residue off with normal enamel thinners. Make sure there are no plastic components on the model to be stripped.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:47 pm

Daddyman wrote:Cellulose thinners will have etching primer off (and everything else) in 5 minutes. Wash the residue off with normal enamel thinners. Make sure there are no plastic components on the model to be stripped.

I'd second that. I'm re-building a Mallard 517 which I had painted the wrong shade of green about 30 years ago, using Precision paint and their etching primer. I just put the loco body in a jar filled up with cellulose thinner (halfords) and left overnight. The paint and primer came off as did most of the boiler fittings which had been glued on with epoxy. A quick scrub with an old toothbrush and a spell in the ultrasonic bath with some washing soda produced a great finish for painting.

Steve

DougN

Postby DougN » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:40 am

Steve, what type of ultrasonic cleaner do you have?

I have looked at a mates one which is nothing more than a cheapy toy style thing with batteries.... which has a motor to rattle the box a bit! I am thinking of lashing out and buying a good one as I think it might take my painting preparation to the next level!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Michael Waldron

Postby Michael Waldron » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:11 am

Thanks all for corrections and advice.

Now it’s just a matter of going and trying it!

Mike

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:01 am

steve howe wrote: I'd second that. I'm re-building a Mallard 517 which I had painted the wrong shade of green about 30 years ago, using Precision paint and their etching primer. I just put the loco body in a jar filled up with cellulose thinner (halfords) and left overnight. The paint and primer came off as did most of the boiler fittings which had been glued on with epoxy. A quick scrub with an old toothbrush and a spell in the ultrasonic bath with some washing soda produced a great finish for painting.

There's no need to leave it overnight, though, and that might be why the epoxy has been attacked. The paint starts coming off almost immediately, and can be encouraged with a brush of some sort.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:05 am

steve howe wrote:
Daddyman wrote:Cellulose thinners will have etching primer off (and everything else) in 5 minutes. Wash the residue off with normal enamel thinners. Make sure there are no plastic components on the model to be stripped.

I'd second that. I'm re-building a Mallard 517 which I had painted the wrong shade of green about 30 years ago, using Precision paint and their etching primer. I just put the loco body in a jar filled up with cellulose thinner (halfords) and left overnight. The paint and primer came off as did most of the boiler fittings which had been glued on with epoxy. A quick scrub with an old toothbrush and a spell in the ultrasonic bath with some washing soda produced a great finish for painting.

Steve

I put the jar of cellulose thinners in the centre of the Ultrasonic bath with some warm water in for about 4 cycles. Rotating the model in the jar each cycle. 480 seconds per cycle. Keep the lid on the jar the smell is a bit strong. Not sure which bath I have. I bought it from Eileen's many many years ago.
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:21 am

Very interesting, Jeremy. Does it come out completely clean? Because when I do it in by hand in a dish there is a lot of residue - though I did discover recently that enamel thinners cleans that off.

But you must get through a lot of cellulose thinners - though presumably it can be reused for stripping?

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:55 pm

Daddyman wrote:Very interesting, Jeremy. Does it come out completely clean? Because when I do it in by hand in a dish there is a lot of residue - though I did discover recently that enamel thinners cleans that off.

But you must get through a lot of cellulose thinners - though presumably it can be reused for stripping?

Hi David
I re-use the cellulose leaving it in the old coffee jar. It has sludge at the bottom and the lid has a depression in it from the fumes, if I knock it over it does leek but otherwise the plastic lid has not been attacked. Sonic bathing the model works well and cleans off in the places you might need a scrubbing brush for. I then use washing up liquid to break down the cellulose and a final wash in water.
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:58 pm

Thanks Jeremy!

Michael Waldron

Postby Michael Waldron » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:20 pm

Well, in order to tidily round off this thread, I actually tried it myself, and, apart from a dusting of grey cellulose left behind on the surface, (which I had used back in the 1990s as a primer - the late-lamented Holts) which a dunking in clean cellulose will cure, the whole lot came off easily…. even the original Bob Shepherd Precision Paints single clear aerosol etch primer on some of the others.

Incidentally, I contacted Ian Rathbone to ask him whether he has ever painted a tarnished kit, and whether it worked.
My question was whether it is really necessary to go to great lengths to remove that tarnish, or whether it would actually assist paint adhesion!

His reply was that he hadn’t tried it, as a professional model finisher (understandable, as he strives for a perfect finish in his work), but is convinced that many kits “out there” have just been painted with livery colour straight over tarnished brass - probably the majority!

I wish I could still get the Sainsburys purple bottle of Limescale remover, with the orange lid. It was excellent for just that job, making everything look new and shiny again - just like it did when you opened the tissue palace in the kit box.
Mind you, some older kits I’ve bought were already tarnished….!! Proved they’d been sitting around a few years, while the price went up,

Mike

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:05 pm

Michael Waldron wrote:I wish I could still get the Sainsburys purple bottle of Limescale remover, with the orange lid. It was excellent for just that job, making everything look new and shiny again - just like it did when you opened the tissue palace in the kit box.
Mind you, some older kits I’ve bought were already tarnished….!! Proved they’d been sitting around a few years, while the price went up,

Hi Mike,

I've not tried the Sainsbury limescale remover. However I can get excellent results from Shiny Sinks, or when that became unavailable something called Barkeepers Friend.

Both of them clean up completed models and tarnished etches. Available from your local supermarket, and applied with a scruffy toothbrush kept for the purpose.

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Michael Waldron

Postby Michael Waldron » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:34 pm

Thanks for that Paul.

Useful info.

Mike

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:41 am

John

Return to “Painting and Weathering”