Caution: Testors vs POWsides

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Caution: Testors vs POWsides

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:46 pm

Evening all,

There's been a mixed bag of modelling going on at the moment, with a whole range of different items under construction/destruction/renovation.

I took opportunity this morning of having the house to myself (the Better Half was out running the VLVM) to do a bit of spraying. Well, varnidhing actually, using the trusty Testors Dullcote to seal in some transfers prior to weathering.

The first two wagons, GWR opens which you may have seen in another thread, were absolutely no problem with Fox Transfer waterslide transfers.

When I went to the first of two Open C wagons, with POWsides rub-down GW transfers, this happened as soon as the varnish hit the wagon side:

Testors Dullcote vs POWSides.JPG

The lettering literally curled in front of my eyes. Now the instructions do advise against using softening liquids, like Microsol. Which you don't really need anyway, as these transfers rub down so well. And they do say apply a light coat of varnish.

So there is some sort of reaction going on to cause this. The second Open C didn't get sprayed! i'll now see if some Microsol will sort them out, or it's time for the paintbrush and white paint...

Cheers
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

martin goodall

Re: Caution: Testors vs POWsides

Postby martin goodall » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:13 pm

I applied POWsides rub-down transfers to a PO wagon, and then sprayed it with Testor's Dulcote direct from the can.

I had absolutely no problem after spraying Dulcote on the wagon sides. In fact, I was very pleased with the result.

CPLG 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:14 pm

I wonder if the base paint might make a difference?

Just a thought

Steve

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:04 pm

steve howe wrote:I wonder if the base paint might make a difference?

Just a thought

Steve

Hi Steve,

thanks for the thought. In my case, the base coat is straightforwards Humbrol GWR wagon grey.

Nothing unusual there, unfortunately. And the paint and transfers had both been on for a month or two whilst I waited to do a batch of varnishing.

I've now touched in the damage with some white paint. Not quite perfect, so I'll make this a more weathered example than the norm. In 1909, an Open C would only be a few years old, but this one has led a hard life...

Cheers
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Lord Colnago

Postby Lord Colnago » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:46 pm

Hi Paul,

Is your spray can almost empty? I had a similar problem with a Testors can, which crazed the paintwork on a model. I think it was due to the ratio of propellant to varnish tipping in favour of the former, thus causing the reaction. The trouble was that the can didn't feel like the contents were low. It may have been a rogue can of course.

John.
The second best priest

triumph3

Postby triumph3 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:05 pm

I would never spray direct from the can, I would spray into a jar and then thin it and spray through an airbrush. Gives more control.

David

Return to “Painting and Weathering”