Spraying Lifecolor

Steve Carter

Re: Spraying Lifecolor

Postby Steve Carter » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:54 pm

David Thorpe wrote:
Steve Carter wrote:Do you spray (rattle can?) a Matt varnish on R-T-R stuff before applying powders/pigments?

I don't know, Steve - I haven't yet applied any to RTR stuff but from what I've read a coat of matt varnish should do the trick. The pigments don't like a smooth gloss finsh as their microscopic particles have to lodge in the bumps and troughs of a matt surface.

DT

Thanks David.

Tony Sissons once told me he always gave models a coat of Testors dullcote matt before weathering. This seems to be the same principle.

Steve
Steve Carter

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:13 pm

Indeed yes. As an experiment I gave an old Tri-Ang (remember them?) tender a coat of Testors Dullcote this morning and it now accepts pigments very happily. Quite a lot of my stuff is satin varnished, however, and I don't know how it'll work with that. Another trial methinks.

DT

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:44 pm

This is all interesting stuff, so thanks all for contributing. Sorry if this is a slight tangent, but does anyone know which formulae of Dullcote they have - and whether (as with all these things, eg Klear) they all work as well as each other?

According to EDM, website: Testors have stopped international sales so the stock in the UK is all there is now. This is probably my last lot.
https://ngtrains.com/shop/product/testo ... ay-3-pack/

But then Firestorm say: The famous Testors Dullcote is back! Now with a new EU legal formula, this is possibly the best matt spray varnish there is. Use Testors Dullcote over the top of a gloss varnish to protect and enhance your finished project with this permanent, flat lacquer finish. It reduces sheen and light reflection, while providing invisible protection. Dries in minutes and creates a true dull finish.
https://www.firestormgames.co.uk/testors-dullcote

I also notice firestorm say to use it over the top of gloss varnish - I don't think I had heard that before?

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:52 pm

Testors Dullcote has, I believe, had its "new" EU formula for at least five years, probably more, and since then supplies have sometimes been intermittent and there have been rumours of Testors' demise. However, it now appears that there may be some truth in these rumours, at least as far as sales outwith the USA and Canada are concerned. According to an American forum I've been reading, Testors are owned by another company, Rust Oleum, which itself is owned by yet another company, and apparently back in October last year Vincent Pierri of Rust Oleum said: ""Rust Oleum is no longer selling the Testors brand internationally, through distributors, but continues sales and distribution in the United States and Canada without interruption."

Whether that has actually happened is unclear. Latest US rumours are that Testors has closed completely, but these have been denied by Rust Oleum who say that Testors is their leading brand and is being fully supported. However, if you like Testors, it may well be worth stocking up. For myself, I like Dullcote but not the way it sprays, which is too heavy for my liking. I've read some excellent reports about Winsor & Newton Galeria Matt varnish, with some users saying that it produces the mattest finish ever, and so have ordered a bottle to try it, one advantage being that I can airbrush it on as lightly as i want.

DT

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:56 am

Isn't it because Rust Oleum market it under their own name? see: Rust Oleum Crystal Clear Matt.

regards

Alan

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:04 am

Alan Turner wrote:Isn't it because Rust Oleum market it under their own name? see: Rust Oleum Crystal Clear Matt.

Rustoleum have been marketing that for years. It's not the same product as Dullcote and perhaps more suited to DIY tasks. Besides which they say that they're going to continue with Testors Dullcote, but only in North America. However, if anyone wants to test it out......

DT

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:05 am

David Thorpe wrote:……….. I've read some excellent reports about Winsor & Newton Galeria Matt varnish, with some users saying that it produces the mattest finish ever, and so have ordered a bottle to try it, one advantage being that I can airbrush it on as lightly as i want.

I have a bottle of Cryla (Rowney) matt varnish, bought from an art supply shop a number of years ago. It seems to be light stable (bottle label says it is!), not discolouring when protecting something on a sunny shelf.
It brushes well, and diluted slightly with white spirit (as per label on bottle) seems to spray in a controllable and predictable way.

- Nigel

barrowroad

Postby barrowroad » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:13 pm

"The set Rail Weathering is a good start (Code CS21). This contains the following:

UA 719 Frame Dirt
UA 720 Track Dirt
UA 721 Sleeper Grime
UA 722 Roof Dirt
UA 723 Weathered Black
UA 724 Brake Dust"

Thanks Alastairr I've just ordered a set to try .

Robin

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:37 pm

My Winsor & Newton Galleria varnish arrived to day, matt and satin. £8.20 for a 250ml bottle, so it doesn't break the bank. It's water based and quite thick and anecdotal evidence alswhere on the web suggests that for airbrushing it can successfully be thinned with tap water, distilled water, acrylic thinners, or in one rather extreme case cellulose thinners. Apparently W&N are happy about water being used but no more than 20%.

So naturally I've given it a very quick try out. The other side of my old TriAng coach was still shiny and unprimed, so not having time to set up the airbrush I gave it a coat of the matt varnish using a flat brush. It started going matt almost in front of my eyes and I was really pretty impressed with the matt effect produced. That's more that I can say about my painting efforts - I am useless at brush painting water based paints both in modelling and DIY contexts. Earlier this year I tried paainting our kitchen door with a new water-based quick dry paint, and what a mess, awful brush marks. Fortunately I had some older oil based paint in the cupboard and was able to remedy the situation with that. In the modelling world my unhappy efforts at brush painting acrylics form the main reason I've stuck to enamels. So I wasn't too surprised when my efforts at applying the matt varnish by brush to the unprimed shiny plastic TriAng coach were a bit messy, but the flat matt effect was very good.

I then tried the same using the satin varnish on an old Airfix suburban coach that was exremely dull. The result was a finish that I still thought was fairly matt but nevertheless had a slight sheen, quite pleasing really as it also brought out the subdued colours to a certain extent. Not so many brush marks either. It'll beinteresting to see what a second coat does in both instances.

Some time within the next few days I'll give them a go using the airbrush and will report back. Meanwhile I'll sit back and have a look at the very comprehensive and beautifully illustrated 87-page art material catalogue that was in the box with my order.

DT

Return to “Painting and Weathering”