Railmatch paints

tmcsean

Railmatch paints

Postby tmcsean » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:01 am

I've used Railmatch paints for many years, mainly as the basis for working wagons. Their black, rust and filth colours can be very effective. Recently is seems to me that they have become more glutinous, even when using a new pot for the first time. They're still usable (though I've not tried thinning them down for the airbrush yet) but I would be interested to hear from other Railmatch users, if only to confirm that it's not my imagination running away with me.

Tony

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: Railmatch paints

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:18 am

A recently purchased pot of Railmatch Sleeper Grime was certainly thicker than others have been when new. However it worked perfectly well both with a brush and when thinned down for spraying. The same was true of a pot of Rail White. Possibly some changes in the manufacturing process but as long as they work that does not cause me any problems.

Terry Bendall

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:24 am

Humbrol are suffering from the same problem - some of their recent stuff is more like thick custard than cream or milk, and it doesn't necessarily mix well with thinner, although it does seem to get a bit better if you keep it unopened for a while (ike a couple of years). I have heard that despite the labels on the tins there are actually only two makers of model paint in the UK - perhaps Railmatch and Humbrol use the same one?
David L-T

40C

Postby 40C » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:48 pm

I have some Railmatch thinners produced by H Marcel Guest.

Return to “Painting and Weathering”