Dullcoat

billbedford

Dullcoat

Postby billbedford » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:47 am

Does anyone know the formulation of Dullcoat varnish? in particular is it acrylic based?

Rod Cameron

Re: Dullcoat

Postby Rod Cameron » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:45 am

Hi Bill

All it says on my can is 'contains alcohols, petroleum distillates and liquefied petroleum propellant'; and that it contains a chemical known by the state of California to be carcinogenic and cause birth/reproductive harm. But you probably know that much already.
Rod

Rdunning

Postby Rdunning » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:28 pm

I don't know what is behind Bill's query but if I may add a word of caution - I recently tried to use Dullcoat to seal some Fox waterslide transfers (which had been allowed 24 hours to dry as recommended btw). Unfortunately a second or two after spraying them the lovingly applied bespoke transfers proceeded to crinkle and disintegrate before my very eyes!

It may be that I was too enthusiastic or too close to the model with my spray application but I was somewhat disappointed, to say the least.

Comparing notes with Karl Crowther at a recent AG meeting he told me that he'd had a similar experience using acrylic varnish to seal some Fox transfers.

I should add that I'm still a satisfied user of Fox transfers and will be continuing to use them, just taking more care over what to use to seal them in future.

Richard

Bernie

Postby Bernie » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:30 pm

If the SDS from testors.com is of limited use, there is a thread of anecdotal opinion here https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/p ... 40621.page

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:06 pm

I used a Testor's Dulcote spray can to spray some POWsides rub-down transfers a few months ago. The results were excellent. No problems at all.

I also have the brushing version of Testor's Dulcote, but have only used the spray can so far.

As to the formulation, I have no idea. The standard advice when using any unfamiliar solvent, paint or varnish is to test it on something else first before you commit to using it on one of your precious models. So far as toxicity is concerned, I don't spray anything, or even use a brushed solvent, without wearing a respirator.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:44 pm

I understood that Dullcoat was cellulose based. Never had a problem with any of the coaches I've used it on. But then these were covered in a cellulose paint. I've used the can and the stuff out the bottle. Thinned the bottled stuff with cellulose. 50/50 @ 25 psi.
I have used the Vallejo acrylic matt varnish, which gives a really good dull appearance and no nasties in the concoction.

Just to add to the confusion.

Mike

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:23 pm

Rdunning wrote:I recently tried to use Dullcoat to seal some Fox waterslide transfers (which had been allowed 24 hours to dry as recommended btw). Unfortunately a second or two after spraying them the lovingly applied bespoke transfers proceeded to crinkle and disintegrate before my very eyes!
I should add that I'm still a satisfied user of Fox transfers and will be continuing to use them, just taking more care over what to use to seal them in future.

Fox recommend only Railmatch varnish. From my own tests, Railmatch matt varnish in a bottle, thinned with alchohol (Tamiya X20A thinners, consisting of propanol with a little butanol) is OK. Apparently Tamiya acrylic varnish is OK too (haven't tried it yet myself), presumably because the thinning agent is the critical part.

PS: some transfers from other sources, e.g. Welsh Railways Circle, are printed by Fox and will have the same chemical problems.

tmcsean

Postby tmcsean » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:43 pm

Rdunning wrote:I don't know what is behind Bill's query but if I may add a word of caution - I recently tried to use Dullcoat to seal some Fox waterslide transfers (which had been allowed 24 hours to dry as recommended btw). Unfortunately a second or two after spraying them the lovingly applied bespoke transfers proceeded to crinkle and disintegrate before my very eyes!

It may be that I was too enthusiastic or too close to the model with my spray application but I was somewhat disappointed, to say the least.

Comparing notes with Karl Crowther at a recent AG meeting he told me that he'd had a similar experience using acrylic varnish to seal some Fox transfers.

Richard

I can't speak about Fox transfers, but I have been using Dullcote to protect my own waterslide transfers without any problem. My transfer paper is from the same supplier as Cambridge Custom use. I use it sparingly and from more than the usual aerosol distance, and wear a car spray mask while I'm doing it. Works well - protects the transfer and disguises the (very thin) carrier film.

I have heard that Testors have changed the formulation because of the health dangers, but this was only gossip and wil probably switch to an acrylic matt varnish when my stock runs out, and put up with setting up and cleaning the airbrush A

Tony

billbedford

Postby billbedford » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:21 pm

Thanks for mall the info. Dullcoat is obviously not acrylic base so no good at stopping UV at 405 nm.

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:50 pm

tmcsean wrote:I have heard that Testors have changed the formulation because of the health dangers, but this was only gossip

I would say that this is actually true.

I bought some original Dullcote aerosol cans a few years ago and they gave an excellent, matt finish.

More recently, I bought another aerosol can from a local model shop and this resulted in a slight sheen, which was disappointing. I have subsequently heard that the formulation was changed for European sales, implying that the original formulation can still be obtained in America.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

tmcsean

Postby tmcsean » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:45 pm

That's pretty well what I heard. My as-yet unused Dullcote was bought on eBay UK and claims to be the US formula, I've not tried the new stuff yet, but will take my own advice about experimenting first with disposable wagons.

And speaking for health hazards. For its unmatchable finish, I still pine for the old toluene-based Floquil paint. However, I don't want my liver to turn to china clay slurry so my Floquil paint all went in the bin may years ago.

Tony

David B

Postby David B » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:38 pm

I have have just bought some AK 'Ultra Matte Varnish' which is acrylic, not in an aerosol. I have not used it yet (I only bought it last Saturday) but have seen samples and it was . . . properly matt.

See: Emodels, Amazon, Scalemodelshop. There are other places. See Google!

Return to “Painting and Weathering”