Varnishing over weathering powders..

iak

Varnishing over weathering powders..

Postby iak » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:08 pm

So you spend some time getting your stock nicely weathered with care and craft.
However, which varnish is best so you dinnae kill the effect?
Matt would be best I know but any brand?
And airbrushing would be better as well probably so???
Any ideas please? Image
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Allan Goodwillie

Re: Varnishing over weathering powders..

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi Lak,
Having had some disasters recently with various spray varnishes including Humbrol and precision I have gone back to using my airbrush and using Humbrol varnish from a tin.

Humbrol used to be the best and guaranteed, but after two changes of materials I am afraid it is no use now. I have been told that it was changed to be of more use for aero modellers , but has not satisfied them either!

If you are careful with your stock there are other methods for using powders, which are semi -permanent, but can be cleaned off entirely to reveal a completely perfect paint job. The trick is to paint the wagon in its proper livery and then once dried, paint with soap, a bit at a time and before drying apply the powder. It takes a little care until you find the right time to act. The soap acts like a glue, but with the addition of water it can be cleaned off. We use it to give frosting to the wagons on Richard Darby's winter layout. The wagons get a clean if they are needed for Burntisland.

Allan

Allan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

iak

Postby iak » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:22 pm

Interesting... Thanks Alan ;)
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

modelmaker87

Postby modelmaker87 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:26 pm

iak wrote:So you spend some time getting your stock nicely weathered with care and craft.
However, which varnish is best so you dinnae kill the effect?
Matt would be best I know but any brand?
And airbrushing would be better as well probably so???
Any ideas please? Image

Hi Lak,

What you have described is one of the annoying problems when using chalks and weathering powders, they certainly do lose their lustre once sprayed with a matte varnish. I use pigments in place of chalks and powders and have found they tend to keep their colour lustre brighter (vibrance) after varnish application. Like Allan Goodwillie I used Humbrol matte varnish for years until I discovered Testors 'Dullcoat', then everything changed.

HTH, Tony

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:02 am

Hi Lak,

Another technique I have used in the past and which is permanent, is to add pigments and ground down artists pastels directly on to the wet paint on the wagon as it gets painted. This makes the pigment and pastel permanent and matt and fully combined to the surface in one go.

I would not recommend this for someone who is a starter as you have to have some knowledge of weathering and have to work fairly quickly as the whole lot dries rapidly , but the effect of flaking paint can be excellent. One for trying on an old wagon. I will dig out an example and take a photo Lak. :)

I must see if I can get hold of some of "Testors Dullcote" Tony. Wigan was a good show again this year.

Allan

modelmaker87

Postby modelmaker87 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:53 am

Allan Goodwillie wrote:
I must see if I can get hold of some of "Testors Dullcote" Tony. Wigan was a good show again this year.

Allan

Allan,

The fellow opposite me on the S4 stand, his did tell me his name but it escapes me at thgis precise moment. He was selling amongst other materials - 'Weathering in a spray can'. I took a good look at this and established that this isn't a paint but a dye. I showed him one of my models that I had on display that was hand weathered, no airbrush whatsoever. He was intrigued though that I had used Testors 'Dullcoat' as my fixer. Having discussed that he gave me his equivalent spray varnish to try out. I sprayed the whole side of a brand new model with his and the opposite side with Testors Dullcoat. After 5 minutes we both agreed that his matte varnish was far from being as matte as the Testors. He then went on and wrote down all the details from the can of Testors Dullcoat that I had.

So perhaps this chap may end up being a ditributor for Testors 'Dullcoat'. If he is successful, that bodes well for any modeller in the UK that wishes to use it, as its great stuff and does the job in a New York minute, well 5 minutes.

Yes, Wigan was superb, eight P4 layouts....plus so much more incredibe modelling. After my mandatory walkabout I felt that I need to catch up again. Some of the structures and buidings on the OO layouts were gobsmacking stunning. The traders I talked to, Len Newman was one, said to me early on Sunday morning prior to the show opening that he had a fantastic Saturday and the Sunday was all gravy for him, others stated similar. I'll be there helping to set up the place for Steve Roberts next year.

Cheers, Tony

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:23 pm

modelmaker87 wrote:...I showed him one of my models that I had on display that was hand weathered, no airbrush whatsoever. He was intrigued though that I had used Testors 'Dullcoat' as my fixer. Having discussed that he gave me his equivalent spray varnish to try out. I sprayed the whole side of a brand new model with his and the opposite side with Testors Dullcoat. After 5 minutes we both agreed that his matte varnish was far from being as matte as the Testors. He then went on and wrote down all the details from the can of Testors Dullcoat that I had.

So perhaps this chap may end up being a ditributor for Testors 'Dullcoat'. If he is successful, that bodes well for any modeller in the UK that wishes to use it, as its great stuff and does the job in a New York minute, well 5 minutes.

That sounds extremely impressive... I've always used <squints in drawer of painting cabinet> Precision Extra Pale Matt varnish, and applied in thin coats and without thinning has always produced flat results. However my tinlet is nearly dry, and new stocks are needed.

A quick google shows that the aerosols of Dullcote seem to be out of stock in the UK, but there is a liquid alternative readily available:

http://horsingaround.com/acatalog/Testo ... fl_oz.html

It seems that it is effective when (contrary to instructions elsewhere) it is sprayed without thinning:

http://incunabulum.co.uk/blog/2009/10/1 ... lcote-huh/

It looks great on that wargamer's model. I'll definitely be trying some when I next need new stocks of varnish.

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

iak

Postby iak » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:37 am

Gents...
Thanks for the info - the irony is that I have discovered a tin of Testors Dullcote in a long forgotten box in the loft :?
I think a wee experimentation is in order.
However any other ideas might help the debate...

By the way its iAK...... Better than having my christian name spelt wrong all the time mind.... :D
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:11 pm

iak wrote:Gents...

By the way its iAK...... Better than having my christian name spelt wrong all the time mind.... :D

I can understand the confusion... For the self same reason I have a very good friend that it ubiquitously known as "Cyclops" :-)

Merry Christmas all!
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

modelmaker87

Postby modelmaker87 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:19 pm

[quote="Flymo748

A quick google shows that the aerosols of Dullcote seem to be out of stock in the UK, but there is a liquid alternative readily available:

http://horsingaround.com/acatalog/Testo ... fl_oz.html

It seems that it is effective when (contrary to instructions elsewhere) it is sprayed without thinning:

Flymo[/quote]

Paul, I use Dullcoat in a variety of ways, directly from an aerosol can or neat from a bottle. There is a difference in my view. Using the aerosol can you have less control. Think throwing a bucket of water over the model. The end result is fine on the vertical sides of the vehicle, but, and its a big but too, on the flat surfaces that are horizontal, such as the upper rim around an open wagon or flat roofs - an American thing I know, but anyway. What happens is that some bubbles can and often do form. These end up when dry as very small miniature domes. They scrape away fairly easily and on my US stock are easy to cover, but UK stock is usually somewhat cleaner than US stock so those bubble marks may annoy.

Now using the DC neat direct from the bottle out of an airbrush the control is far greater. This also helps in reducing the dulling affects of any varnish over weathering powders. Spraying a tad less where you want an area of heavy weathering to show up more so than perhaps another area.

I also do other things with the bottle solution of DC. I thin it 50/50 with Testors thinners. If you don't have that to hand, mineral spirits works good and a gallon can is well cheaper than Testors thinners. I also mix a little dirt coloured paint in with this final varnish mix so I not only fix my weathering but add the finest of road dirt colour at the same time. A coal car in traffic would have black added, a cement car would have white added and so on. Vehicles used to carry iron ore, add red.

HTH.

Cheers, Tony

Allan Goodwillie

Postby Allan Goodwillie » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:13 am

Sorry about getting the name wrong Iak, :oops:

As you can imagine with a name like Allan Goodwillie there is plenty of scope for confusion and misspelling, my wife Jean and I keep a tally. The more interesting ones tend to come after phone conversations. I have had everything from Godwilling :roll: to Chauldwithy, :-o the most recent was just a week ago when an art club treasurer passed me on a cheque with the name on the cheque Kilwilly. :lol: A well, even after 30 years teaching at the same school, some members of the school office staff were still getting it wrong with my first name. :shock:

Promise Iak I will get it right from now on :!: I still intend sending a couple of photos of the wet/dry technique, but I will have to dig my way into the garage first, we have feet of snow outside at the moment and I have been digging neighbours out all week. Here is a photo taken some days ago where I cleared a path to the front door before more snow arrived!

Hope you are having a good Christmas,

Allan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:45 pm

modelmaker87 wrote:I also do other things with the bottle solution of DC. I thin it 50/50 with Testors thinners. If you don't have that to hand, mineral spirits works good and a gallon can is well cheaper than Testors thinners.

Hi Tony,

Not heard of 'mineral spirits' before - are you aware of any brand names available in the UK that I could buy, please?

Thanks.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Return to “Painting and Weathering”