Pressfix lining disaster...

Mike Garwood

Pressfix lining disaster...

Postby Mike Garwood » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:49 pm

Good evening

Just finishing off a GWR full brake, in BR maroon (cellulose)...my usual methods employed for getting the lining straight - which on the previous 30 odd coaches worked well. Added the Micro sol, off came the top covering to reveal a donkey's hind leg. Added more micro sol and went about trying to repair the line. Gave up! So the question is what will remove the lining without damaging the paint or it's high gloss finish? or is this heading to a bath of cellulose thinners and start from scratch...

Mike

MarkS

Re: Pressfix lining disaster...

Postby MarkS » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:46 pm

Hey Mike,
you might try more MicroSol, or rubbing alcohol.
When desperate, I have found that by using a piece of scrap styrene, you can carefully scrape off pressfix without harming the paint.

In the meantime, take a deep breath, find "a nice glass of whatever"... good luck, most of us have been there at some point!
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

ralphrobertson

Postby ralphrobertson » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:06 am

Mike, you could try meths first. I have used meths for fixing very old Pressfix transfers which do not stick any more and it sticks them down so perhaps that will work in softening them enough to get them off. Worth a try as it won't affect your paint. Good luck!

Ralph

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:01 am

I've found that a combination of MicrSol or MicroSet and a cocktail stick usually removes Pressfix transfers without damaging the paintwork, but I've never tried it on a high gloss finish.

DT

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Thank you all for the suggestions. I tried the meths approach first without any success only dulling the finish of the surrounding area. Tried the micro sol suggestion, I did use a lot of the solution, but you can see the result below. So, bathtime with some cellulose thinners and start again.

IMG_1120.jpg

So my advise on lining, check, double check for straightness and take your time in peeling back. Just as well I didn't start the other coaches as well! I must remember to be more patient...

cheers

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Palmer

Postby John Palmer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:05 am

Mike, it's impertinent of me to say so but I think your lining disaster could be a blessing in disguise, in that it gives you an opportunity to improve the finish of the underlying maroon. I get the strong impression from your picture that the mist of cellulose paint droplets was hitting the coach side part-dry, and that consequently they have imparted a perceptible pattern to the finish rather than the smooth high gloss for which I think you were aiming. If you airbrushed the coach then a higher ratio of thinners to paint would probably help. Adjusting the thinner to paint ratio obviously isn't an option if you use an aerosol spray from a can, in which case you might achieve a better finish with closer passes of the can to ensure that the aerosol is still liquid when it hits the surface. Problem is that it then becomes all too easy to dwell an instant too long and end up with an unsightly puddle, which is why I would prefer to airbrush a job like this as you have so much more control over how the paint is going on.

Even though it was more dull, I much preferred the finish on that lovely E147 B set you made.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:40 am

Mike, why do you think the Pressfix misbehaved? Was it just old and cranky? (Like me.)

Andy
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:28 pm

Hi Andy

I've no idea how old the transfer sheet was/is. It's one of pages I had left over from lining all the LMS coaches I built some years ago. But it was still tacky when I peeled the protective cover off to get at them. I'd checked the alignment by running my eye down the length of the coach and it looked good...till I took the backing paper off. I usually apply the micro sol with a brush adding a little pressure to make sure the transfer is seated properly. I can only assume this wasn't enough and when I pulled back the paper cover it all went sideways - literally!

John
I think you're right. I sprayed the coach in the middle of this hot heat wave and the paint may well have dried. Anyway, with the amount of time and effort put into the coach another hour of stripping and repainting isn't going to go amiss. I have a cunning plan for the next lot of lining I do on this coach. It's probably the first coach I've put into BR Maroon, nearly all the others have been blood and custard.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Mike

Return to “Painting and Weathering”