Removing modern printed Bachmann numbers

Captain Kernow

Removing modern printed Bachmann numbers

Postby Captain Kernow » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:43 am

I need to renumber a recent Bachmann BR blue class 47 for someone, and wanted to know what the recommended method is. I recall several years ago, that Bachmann transfers would easily come off by dampening them with enamel thinners, but I think the method of applying numbers etc. has changed. In his new book, Ian Rathbone recommends using a cotton bud dampened in meths - can anyone confirm whether this applies to the latest Bachmann products, please?

Many thanks.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Penrhos1920

Re: Removing modern printed Bachmann numbers

Postby Penrhos1920 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:04 pm

On my Bachy 37 EWS and Mk2a BR blue coaches I've used T-cut and masked around the digit(s) to be removed with normal masking tape. Gently does it, especially with the EWS 37 as the maroon digit is painted on gold which in turn is painted on maroon.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:18 pm

1000 grade wet and dry for me. Again very gently.

It leaves a very slightly different tone of gloss to the paint (as I suspect T cut would). This dissapears the moment there is any weathering or even seal coat of varnish.
Mark Tatlow

the fatadder

Postby the fatadder » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:43 pm

I have used Microsol on a fair number of bachmann (and Hornby) locos for renumbering (also working for removing nameplates)

I apply it to the model with an old brush, leave for a minute or so to let it soften, and then scrape the number off with a cocktail stick (top of a scalple or a thumb nail). Once this is done I then apply a 2nd coat and rub off with a tissue to remove the last marks.

90% of the time it does this without leaving a shine on the model so you can get away without having to revarnish.

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:01 am

the fatadder wrote:I have used Microsol on a fair number of bachmann (and Hornby) locos for renumbering (also working for removing nameplates)

Can I take it this method will also 'company names and logos' as well i.e. G.W.R./shirt button to replace with Great Western.

Brinkly

Postby Brinkly » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:45 am

Penrhos1920 wrote:On my Bachy 37 EWS and Mk2a BR blue coaches I've used T-cut and masked around the digit(s) to be removed with normal masking tape. Gently does it, especially with the EWS 37 as the maroon digit is painted on gold which in turn is painted on maroon.

I've used T-Cut to remove the lettering on Bachmann PO Wagons no damage to the paint work. Do you want me to bring an example along on Monday Tim?

As ever,

Nick

Return to “Painting and Weathering”