reverse lining method

HowardGWR

reverse lining method

Postby HowardGWR » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:34 pm

I once attended a show (Pompey Girls school?) where the late Chris Kedgley was demonstrating a technique for lining that was a very novel way of doing it. I think you applied the main expanse of carefully measured and painted 'infill' .leaving the lining colour behind. I feel guilty that I have forgotten the details, especially as that lovely man took such care in explaining it all to me.

Can anyone remember the details of the method, or perhaps has a photo of something they achieved, even better? Regards, Howard

Guy Rixon

Re: reverse lining method

Postby Guy Rixon » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:03 am

There's a technique where one paints the highlight colour, applies a dry-print transfer as a mask, sprays the body colour, and then peels off the transfer. Apparently, it's used a lot in high-end, military modelling. Wouldn't work with transfers that have carrier film, of course. I don't know if dry-print lines are available from anywhere.

There's also the method of scraping through the body colour to expose the brass, representing gold lining. I did that on one coach; it worked moderately well but the lines were a little too fine.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:29 pm

Howard,

I could not recall Chris doing this but showed your post to Steve Young, an old friend of his from the EMGS, and this was his response:

"I remember he nearly always did his lining using decal sheets. He would use a lining pen to line out the basic colour of the lining and then add any additional thinner lines. He used a rule to guide the pen. I recall him only doing the straight lines. The corners and curves he added freehand after having cut out the straight line and applying to the locos. The results were very good. I know he had tried curves but decided that it was easier to do it freehand. Not sure of the make but it wasn't made by Crafty Computer Paper as theirs is in A4 sheets. Think he used an American make."

This seems similar to Guy's comments. Hope it helps.

Philip

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:48 pm

Here is how the Ian Rathbone does lining - starting at 2hr20min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne0fBH6zNkQ

While he makes it look easy, the tips and techniques that are shared are invaluable.
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

Return to “Painting and Weathering”